• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Thank Heaven

F

fraidy cat

I am afraid of the dentist and have not been in years. I am ashamed and embarrassed that I let my fear take over. I have neglected my dental health but thanks to a painful tooth I can no longer put off what I fear most for much longer.

After reading the posts here I am finding the courage to make that dreaded call and schedule an appointment.

It takes a lot of courage to come on here and say you're afraid of the dentist. So good for you! It's great to find support like this so I hope it helps you give them a call. :hug2:

hey

congrats on making the first step in talking openly about your fears this forum has helped me millions and i feel a litle more comfortable going to the dentist now as i have people i can share my thoughts and fears with

let us know when you make the call and we'll all be here to keep you calm :)

Hello fraidy cat:

Dental anxiety or phobia is nothing you need to be ashamed or embarrassed about. We all have fears in a variety of areas. They can come from any number of reasons and the control they can have over our lives is immense.

You have taken the first crucial steps to overcoming the fear. Admitting and facing it is a true act of bravery. Give yourself a big pat on the back for taking this step.

Living with the fear and shame is much much worse than any treatment you will receive. Dentistry has made huge improvements with restoration and patient comfort. The dentist will not judge you on the state of your teeth. They are there to improve your dental health and restore the smile.

Remember, you are in control. Do not allow them to proceed any faster than you are comfortable with. You have the right to be treated with dignity and respect.

Making this move is awesome! You will overcome something that has haunted you for a while, well done.

Keep us posted on your progress.

All the best to you :)

Thank you all for your kindness. I am going to make that call first thing tomorrow morning.

I am very proud to say that I did not pass on my dental phobias to my daughter. She always thought going to the dentist was no big deal, even when she needed the occasional filling, braces and wisdom teeth removed.