• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Thank you!! 1st step today!

D

deepbreaths

I read through tons of your success stories and took my first step today. I had terrible previous experiences that have kept me away from the dentist for around 7 years. I found a dentist that specializes in dental phobia here in Indiana (where I live) and emailed them through their website. I am absolutely terrified of my teeth falling out. I brush and floss very regularly but I am still constantly checking my teeth through the day for changes and problems. I know when I go for my appt. I will have to get a few fillings, etc, but my biggest fear is to be told I am a lost cause. I feel like I've started to overcome my phobia with the help of your stories! Thank you!!

Hello deepbreaths,
Glad you made the big first step!!! Dentistry has changed a lot in 7 years...Don't be afraid, you may think your teeth are horrible but you will be surprised! I hadn't been to the dentist in 8-9 years and I had no cavities...Just 4 decaying wisdom teeth that I had removed in feb under I.V. sedation...and a couple root canaled teeth that were infected..I just need my 4 old silver fillings removed and replaced since they are starting to develop decay under them..Also a cleaning..Then I'm good for 6 months...I thought I'd need them all pulled out...So best wishes when you get an apointment!

Hi :welcome: to the forum.

How good do you feel right now, you have made a very large step towards getting your mouth and teeth healthy. Let us know how you get on GOOD LUCK :clover::clover::clover: :butterfly:

Thank you so much for all your support! Now if I could just stop obsessively checking my teeth for changes, in the meantime. I keep going between thinking I won't hear a very bad report to thinking I'll hear I need every tooth extracted. I feel great about my first step. I told my boyfriend and it looks like I'll be the guinea pig for this new doctor because bf has got the same phobia but wants better dental health as well. Really, thank you so much for sharing your stories -- I don't think I would have made the first step if you all hadn't had the courage to make your first steps. <3

Hi, deepbreaths,
I was the same way. I went back to the dentist after a 23 year absence in 2008. I WAS ABSOLUTELY sure the dentist was going to tell me "Your teeth are a lost cause, I must extract ALL of them." Turns out, I only needed 9 extractions with 3 of those being wisdom teeth..............so really only 6 extractions because I don't count the wisdom teeth as almost everyone needs those extracted. Also, the dentist told me that I had taken very good care of my teeth at home, because I really didn't have any decay beyond the 6 unsalvagable teeth.
The first appointment, although the most nerve-wracking for us, is the easiest because usually NO work is actually done. This appointment is usually just an asessment of your oral health. The dentist will look around, may use the probe (you can request that he/she doesn't) and more than likely some X-Rays will taken. Then after all that is done, you will find out what EXACTLY needs to be done. I can almost promise you that the news won't be as bad as you are expecting............. I think we have ALL thought the worst at our 1st appointments.
Wishing you much :clover: :clover: :clover: :clover::clover: :clover: :clover:,
AND
Many :hug4: :hug4::hug4:'s.

Thank you so much for all your support! Now if I could just stop obsessively checking my teeth for changes, in the meantime. I keep going between thinking I won't hear a very bad report to thinking I'll hear I need every tooth extracted. I feel great about my first step. I told my boyfriend and it looks like I'll be the guinea pig for this new doctor because bf has got the same phobia but wants better dental health as well. Really, thank you so much for sharing your stories -- I don't think I would have made the first step if you all hadn't had the courage to make your first steps. <3

Well done and keep taking those steps.;D At your own pace - because you're in charge.

I also took my first steps in 2008 and also after 20-odd years dentist dodging. I had no idea how many teeth I'd need out, whether I'd need root canals... One out, two deep fillings and a couple of other fillings and that was the damage. All dealt with in a 2 hour appointment, under sedation.

I have since been able to have all treatment without any sedation at all, (which I would never have believed before). I still get nervous - sometimes am fine, sometimes am terrified - but I've held on going, and facing the fear and am so proud of myself for it. It's an amazing feeling.

The damage may not be as bad as you think. I would have sworn I'd need half a dozen teeth out and maybe half a dozen root canals! People always say it on here - so much it is a cliche, but it is true - the hard bit is making and going to that first appointment. The only hard thing beyond that point is dealing with your own fear. We're here to help you with that.:XXLhug:

Hi all,

today I had my first appointment in over 12 years and am pleased to say I am still in one piece! My main fear was being told that I would have to have all my teeth out, but glad to say that is not the case! I will need 3 extractions which came as no shock as they were broken down anyway. I braved the X-ray and it was no where near as bad as I had imagined it would be. I feel a real sense of achievement! My next appointment is not for another month, but in a weird way I am looking forward to a clean and my first of many fillings! I honestly never thought I would say that!