• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Thank you Dental Fear Central

A

Aoide

Thank you, thank you, thank you for this board!  I just got back from going to the dentist.  It has been well over 20 years, maybe closer to 25 and this board has been a life saver.

I didn't have any big reason for going after all this time other than I was tired of being afraid and tired of worrying about "what if..."  I started thinking months ago that I was going to go during my summer vacation (I'm a school teacher).  I've been working up my courage, starting to live with the idea of going.

I called around to places based on who took my insurance and I got a very good idea about places based on their reactions to me on the phone.  Just making the call was traumatic and I was crying and some places were very sympathetic and others were impatient.  I ended up choosing a place that isn't on my dental plan, but I will be able to change that when open enrollment comes in January.  They ARE however extremely nice, sympathetic and understanding which is worth so much more.  CALL AROUND.

The hardest part of today was taking the x-rays.  I kept gagging when they put the big x-ray thing in my mouth.  The doctor came in and listened to my sob story (literally sob) and we talked about how I was going to be in control of my treatment versus the last time I went which was when I was young and my grandparents dragged me.  He looked around and then we talked about what needed to be done.  I need to have a deep cleaning which I can do in quadrants and I need several fillings.  I have the start of periodontal disease, but the cleaning should really help with that.  All in all I feel really great about the visit. My teeth will still be crooked but one thing at a time.  I can't imagine what it will feel like to have a healthy clean mouth and visit the dentist on a regular basis.

The only thing is saving up the money to get the procedures done because I don't want to wait until January when insurance kicks over.  Once I've started I don't want to stop because I'm afraid I won't get started again!

I can't thank this board enough.  I'll still be around reading and screwing up my courage, but I think the hardest part is over.  Making the phone call.  Reading through the forums and ESPECIALLY reading through the common fears section helped me immensely.  So thank you for this board and for everyone who runs it and who posts.  :XXLhug:

Good for you Aoide!

I can't imagine what it will feel like to have a healthy clean mouth and visit the dentist on a regular basis.

I can't wait for that either.

you deserve a big WOW:) congratulations :jump:

So I went in today for my first big work.  I had deep cleaning on two quadrants (upper and lower on the right side).

It wasn't nearly as bad as I thought.  First off since the initial episodes of crying and extreme fear before and during my first visit, I haven't had any of those reactions since.  I didn't cry at all today or even any of the days before today's procedure.  I have set my mind that I really want this.  I want to have clean teeth, and not to be afraid of the dentist anymore.  I spent the month imagining myself doing very well in the chair and not freaking out and that's exactly what happened!

Now was it the most comfortable thing I've done?  No. I didn't have pain per se, but there were times when I gagged a little, felt a great urge to swallow and would start to get that anxious feeling come in especially if he told me to open a little wider.  At times I felt like I just couldn't open wider or get my tongue to relax.  I'd remind myself to take a deep breath and tell myself that it wasn't vital that I swallow right that second.  It's a mental battle. The machine wasn't as loud as I imagined it would be and I didn't really feel a lot of vibrations that others have talked about.  But I was prepared for it in case it did happen so I think that helped.  Again this is why Dental Fear Central is one of the best things out there to get through your fear.  Arm yourself with knowledge and support. I will admit that I kept my eyes closed the whole time.  I really didn't want to see the tools or them leaning over me.  For me personally that helped.

The biggest thing that helped though was to find a dentist and a staff that is caring, gentle and understanding of my fear. I would never be able to get through this and be able to go back so easily without the environment they create. It has made me realize in the last few days that I need to find a new general doctor. Good dentists are out there, you just have to find them.

I'm so proud of myself.  If a big scaredy cat like me can do it you can too. :jump:

Hi Aoide :),

first of all congratulations :jump: :jump:! Facing your greatest fears is always an amazing achievement, and it sounds like you were really well prepared to meet the challenge :thumbsup:. And even though I would agree that finding a caring, gentle dentist is the most important requirement, at the end of the day *you* were the key player and did all the right things. You must be on cloud nine :cloud9:!!!

Thanks so much for sharing your story here - from my experience, the success stories are one of the most important sections of the whole website, as they can really inspire others who are working up the courage to take that first step :thumbsup:.

P.S.: many thanks on behalf of all the moderators, admins and anyone who has contributed to the website - it's really great to hear that the website and forum helped you - knowing that the site does make a difference makes it all worthwhile for us :)