• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Thank you so much Gordon and all of you

N

nightsong

Well, I'm back from my large filling without anaesthetic. :jump: :party: :cheers:

Thank you so, so much Gordon for your advice and reassurance, and to harper, Brit and everyone who has been so helpful. This forum is wonderful.

And, erm - it hardly hurt. He did say that meant it might be dead, or just that the nerve has retreated a long way. Hopefully the latter, eh?

Although i can't drink brandy, as recommended by my GP, I have found vodka is ok so I was swigging a nice big vodka and orange juice on my way there (someone else was driving in case you're wondering ;D). I also took in my walkman with a CD of white noise. If nothing else it meant I didn't have to listen to what he was playing, which was 'Bridge over troubled water'. Bridge - very good - has anyone complied a CD of dental related songs?

I have no idea if the white noise helped, but my research on the internet shows that it has some effect on blocking the perception of pain and increasing pain thresholds. There is also the good old placebo effect I suppose. Who knows?

Anyway, love and hugs to you all :grouphug:

Well done you. :jump:

I tried a relaxation tape once of sea noises, all it did for me was make me need the toilet in a big way :redface:

If you felt some discomfort from the tooth then the nerve ain't dead either.

So glad it worked out okay for you Nightsong...think I would have preferred the Simon & Garfunkel to White Noise.....how could you stand that awful noise.....still if it worked.
:jump: :grouphug: