• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Thank you to Brit and to DFC!

L

lilliane

Here I am, some 7 months after first posting on DFC – and that was only after a few months of “lurking”, trying to get up the nerve even to write about my fears, let alone do anything about them. And this time, I’m writing to say THANK YOU to DFC, to the members who wrote kind words in response to my posts, and especially to Brit, who was not only supportive but gave me the practical advice and help I needed to get the care I had been unable to get for almost 35 years!

To briefly re-cap my situation: Like many DFC posters, I experienced a combination of serious neglect and incompetent dental care as a child, resulting in many problems, a lot of pain, and complete avoidance of dental care from the age of 10 until I was about 25 years old. At that time, desperate, ashamed, and in pain, I put myself in the hands of a dentist. (Ill-chosen because I couldn’t ask anyone for advice. He was also a creep!) The result was that all my teeth were pulled and I had full dentures – devastating, to say the least, for a young woman.

But to make it even worse, although my teeth were gone, my fears remained, even increased. And I then reverted to my habits of ignoring, hiding, and avoiding the issue, all of which, as many of you will know, take a toll on a person. I did not go to a dentist for another 35 years. (I know that some of you might think, “The worst has already happened, so what has she to worry about?” But, as I’ve said before, my experience I think is proof that fear and shame are as big a part of dental phobia as the concern about pain. How many of us have suffered years of excruciating pain rather than go to the dentist? It’s mostly not about the pain.)

Last fall, I found DFC, and I finally posted a bit about my problems. With Brit’s advice, I contacted a number of dentists anonymously, by e-mail. To the few who responded in what I felt was a helpful way, I then wrote explaining my situation. One dentist in particular seemed to be someone I could approach. Although she is in another town, I would at that point have gone just about anywhere for the right person. After a few e-mails back and forth, I got up the nerve to go to her office (only as far as the waiting room!) to meet her. She seemed very kind, tactful, and understanding. With her help, and the support of my husband (once I finally managed to talk to him about it all), I eventually moved to x-ryas and an examination. I thought I would die from fear, just sitting in the chair. But the dentist proved to be not only very kind but also very skilled, and I eventually got through many visits over the course of a few months.

And now, as a result, I have a newly healthy mouth, properly fitting and functioning dentures, and, if I do say so myself, a nice smile – at age 60, for the first time ever! I have to almost force myself to relax, to smile, to make eye contact – all things I have learned to avoid over my whole adult life. I couldn’t be more pleased.

I’ll be going to the dentist regularly, maybe even a bit more than is necessary for a while, just to make sure I have overcome my long-held fears. I am so grateful to have found her, and I thank DFC for helping me to get there. You have made such a big difference in my life! THANK YOU. And may you keep helping all of us who need you so much. With a smile, Lilliane:)

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Lilliane
Thanks for saying thanks and I am so pleased it all worked out for you in the end. All credit to you. Would you like to add your dentist to the Finder or send me a 'pm' and I can do it.

The rest of Lilliane's story is here:

Last edited:
Hi Lilliane,

thank you so much for sharing your story - I'm sure there are lots of other people in the same position that you were in and I have no doubt that reading about your experiences will hugely help :thumbsup:!

And of course - a huge THANK YOU to Brit, whose input here has been quite incredible :respect:. OMG - she's even got more posts than me now :scared: - :p!!

Here's to Brit :cheers: :sleepyjuice: :party: :yay:!!!!

Oh no really must 'get a life' ;)

Nooooooooo :o - think of all the fulfillment, pleasure, and - dare I say it - excitement (think "zzzdentist" :drool:) you get out of this... are you trying to say there's a life outside of dfc? Surely not!! This IS life :magicwand:

Nooooooooo :o - think of all the fulfillment, pleasure, and - dare I say it - excitement (think "zzzdentist" :drool:) you get out of this... are you trying to say there's a life outside of dfc? Surely not!! This IS life :magicwand:
It's ok..I lead a double or even a treble life...;)