• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Thank You

D

duffy

Former Member
After viewing this website for a few days I finally found the courage to make my first appointment with a dentist in 40 years.I am a 50 year old women and I last went when I was 10 at that time I was suffering sexual abuse and I found it trumatic to say the least.The dentist I am going to see is a women so wish me luck for next Wednesday.

Hi and welcome.Well done for taking the first step ...4 months ago I was like yourself hadn't been for 40years and now can say am part way there...the anxiety and apprehension lasts usually longer that the appointment...The support on this forum is wonderful...Good luck ....

HTML:
Hi and welcome.Well done for taking the first step ...4 months ago I was like yourself hadn't been for 40years and now can say am part way there...the anxiety and apprehension lasts usually longer that the appointment...The support on this forum is wonderful...Good luck ....

I also made an appointment for counciling regarding abuse.

Hi duffy :welcome:,

congratulations on finding the courage to make those two appointments :). It is really nice to hear that the website helped you with this. I hope the dentist you are seeing next Wednesday will be lovely and just right for you, and that you strike it lucky first time round :thumbsup:. Keeping my fingers crossed for you - best of luck :clover::clover::clover:

Hello and welcome to you Duffy

Wow! What huge leaps you have made. I think that once you have done one of your most difficult steps, you get to thinking that what the heck, in for a penny in for a pound. And I think once that particular penny drops, you find a courage that you never even knew you had.

So - another person to take my hat off to. I am sooooo hoping that your dentist is lovely, and that the counsellor you see helps you take those next leaps forward in your life.

Kim xx

Hi :welcome: everyone before me has said it all and I wish you GOOD LUCK :clover::clover::clover::clover::clover: :butterfly:

Thank you all for for your kind words I am just got in from my first visit to the dentist she was very nice and the nurse was lovely well here,s how it went. After having x ray she told me what I think I knew my front tooth was loose and she thought that would come out when she done the impression so she give me 2 injections and yes my tooth came out with it ,I did not know weither to laugh or cry.My other front tooth is going the same way and she advised me to also have this removed so next Thursday I will have this done and a denture put in .I am a bit worried how I will cope with this has my self esteem is at rock bottom at the moment.I am a bit concerned about the denture because she said to go for the cheaper version because in six months they my need to be changed and I am so afraid of them slipping out any advise would be gratefully received.

Well done, duffy!!

When your dentist said go for the 'cheaper option' because it things might change in 6 months. . .did she mean that you may need further extractions?

Otherwise, is there a possibility of having a bridge, or even implants?

Comparatively expensive, but "non-slip".

Keep us posted.

Best wishes,
Steve

Hi duffy and :welcome:

As Steve said; Well done! ;D

The first appointment is quite often the hardest part for many people, but you've got that bit out of the way and from the sounds of it, have found a dentist that you like and feel comfortable with.

I don't have any experience of dentures, however there are plenty of people around here who do, so I'm sure that someone will be able to give you some advice :). From the sounds of it, your dentist is probably doing you a favour by advising you to go for the cheaper denture for now; particularly if things are likely to change in a few months and you're likely to need a either a new denture or the existing one refitting. The last thing you would want is to pay out for the most expensive all singing all dancing, top of the range one, only to find that maybe in a few months' it no longer fits because you've perhaps needed further treatment. Once things have settled down and all your treatment has been completed, then you can think about whether you maybe want a more expensive option. If you're not sure, your dentist should be happy to explain all the options to you.

Although it may not seem like it now, you will cope. Once they get used to wearing their dentures, a lot of people can't stop smiling and showing off their new teeth. Try not to be too concerned about the denture slipping out; your dentist will make sure that it fits and is comfortable for you. Some people find that their dentures stay in without using any sort of adhesives and other people prefer to use one of the denture adhesives that you can get from the supermarket or chemist (there are plenty of options to choose from :)).

You've taken some huge steps over the past few days, including making an appointment for some counselling, so well done. The first few steps of any journey are usually the hardest, but by taking things one step at a time, you will get there and hopefully one day soon, we'll be reading your 'I did it' post in our 'Success Stories' section.

Lots of luck for your next appointment :clover::clover::clover:... Let us know how it goes.

Thanks for being a whole heck more knowledgable and compassionate than me, Vicki.

I'm a 'blunder in and say stuff' kind of fella, sadly. And look at this...you can add thread hijacking to my CV.

Aside from hypnotherapy, I share all your signature 'likes', BTW, lol.

I've done some copywriting (even NLP based copy), I drink tea like it's nearing extinction, and am a mahoooooosive Derren fan.

Just wanted to drop in and endorse your advice.

All my best wishes duffy,
Steve