• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Thank You

Brooke_J

Brooke_J

Hello all :)
I have been reading through many posts for the past 2 weeks, and decided to join this fantastically brave group of people.
It has helped me so much to just read through the strifes of others, and to know I am not alone in my fears.

A bit about me..
I am 33 years old, and I have been dealing with dental struggles for the past 6 years. I hadn't seen a dentist prior to that since I was 18. At age 26/27, I noticed visible cavities, and was horrified. Soon thereafter I began experiencing pain, so I put my embarrassment aside and took the plunge. That dentist's bedside manner has left me in a state of perpetual shame, along with a shoddy root canal to add immense fear as well. I have gone in here and there since then, but my panic attacks got so out of control I stopped trying to get all of the work finished about 2 years ago. Well, now here I am, and after discovering a few more visible cavities, and a crown build-up that has a piece broken off, enough is enough. After a week of mental preparation I made that call and booked an appointment to finally face what needed to be done to restore my teeth, and have a beautiful smile again. (I found a dentist who offers sedation this time around..no more sweating and shaking, praying I don't choke to death while they drill!!)
I want to say thank you to those who have shared their stories because it made me feel bravw enough to go to my first exam. And Guess what? They were wonderful, and said my teeth were very nice, and it wouldn't take more than a few crowns, fillings, one RT and whitening to give me back a dazzling smile. I was so relieved! I thought based on how the other dentist treated me, that I would need tons of extractions to fix the problem. Nope! One 5-6 hour appointment in 8 days and I will be done :) Then just regular check-ups and cleanings. I also need Rx strength toothpaste, and Biotene products for dry mouth. (The culprit of my gumline cavities :mad:)

I am very nervous, but excited and proud that I made it this far. I am also very grateful that I don't need any extractions so far..that was, and is, my biggest fear.
Making that call and having a new patient exam was really the worst part. So much anxiety and panic due to the great unkown. Knowledge is in fact power, and knowing the problems and solutions is such a relief.
Knowing I will be sedated helps a buch too ;)

I just wanted to thank everyone for sharing their stories, and being so brave. You have helped me so very much :respect::respect::respect:

All my best to everyone here! ! :cheer::grouphug::cheer::thankyou:

Hi :thankyou: for taking the time to come on and write of your experience, it is very nice to hear that this forum has helped you find the courage to make that first appointment. How brave of you to do it too.

The trick to getting dentist treatment isn't really a trick at all, it is just a matter of finding the right dentist with the understanding and compassion to help us get the treatment we need.

Good luck with you appointment, it would be nice to know how you get on if you feel up to it :butterfly: