• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

thanks to all of you

S

shoppinqueen

I'm almost 50 yrs old,professionally employed.I've had a lot of really bad dental experiences over the years and during a bout of unemployment let my dental care go. A few months ago I saw a general dentist over a tooth that was going bad only to be told I'd most likely need to have them all pulled due to gum disease.

In panic and fear I did a web search and found this forum, I lurked here reading away and following some of the excellent links provided by folks here.Lomg story short, I found a dentist who specialies in restorative/cosmetic work who also is famous for treating phobics.

I was seen today, I had full mouth xrays and was shocked to hear that though I have 2 broken teeth that I knew were bad, this dentist feels that the 2 others will require deep fillings but he thinks we'll squeak by and probably avoid root canal. As to my gums they aren't good but they are not at the place where all my teeth need to be yanked, in fact he says most of my teeth are in great shape !

We made a treatment plan

1. I was fitted for periodontal trays and will begin wearing them several times daily with an antibotic and hydrogenpyroide gel. 6 weeks of this will halt microbes and soften and lift off a lot of plaque and hard tarter

2. under sedation, the 2 bad teeth will be extracted, the other 2 deep fillings will be done

3. I'll go back a couple weeks later for part 2-deep planing/root scaling,also under sedation

the dentist was kind,gentle and quite funny ! his staff was so nice.

It's going to cost $3,750 but $1,000 will be reimbursed by my insurance, I could probably try to go without sedation to save money but as fearful as I am I'm not sure this would be a good idea.

this office uses a computerized,warmed novicaine delivery system.

I pick up my trays tomorrow and begin !

Well done on making the first steps and I hope the rest of your journey goes as well as the first appointment did, congratulations! :jump: :jump:

Congratulations - that sounds like a great plce to go and not that expensive compared to some of the quotes Americans share on here!

Let us know how you get on and in due course, consider recommending your dentist to help others in your area. Finding the right dentist is the hardest bit.
:grouphug:

Back