• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

The 'D' Word ...Here Goes!

P

ParmaViolet

Hello everyone!

My name is Fi. I've spent the last few hours perusing this site and reading everyone's worries and success stories about the dreaded dentist. Reading your stories has made me feel so much better! I think this a great community! I thought it was time to share my experience.

I haven't visited the dentist in a number of years (its been so long I can't remember the last time I sat in the Chair) and I have FINALLY plucked up the courage to book an appointment after some discomfort in one of my back teeth. My appointment is TOMORROW and I am dreading it. I am one of those people that thinks the dentist is going to be incredibly disappointed in me for neglecting my teeth.

Here's my sob story xD

I think I need about four fillings, maybe even a root canal, but that is not the only issue. When I was a teenager I received orthodontic treatment to straighten up my teeth. The orthodontist did a great job and they looked good after I got my braces off. I got retainers in, and they had to be changed every so often. Well, let's say, I haven't had my retainer changed in a long time. They mucked up my appointments and I never made another one. I just put it off for a very long time. My top retainer snapped and my tooth has moved back a bit (not that much). I even have cavities forming around the glue of the top retainer. When I look at it with mirrors its scary looking :| Although its snapped, I don't feel any discomfort....actually I forgot it was there!

As the years went on, I kept avoiding the dentist, simply because they'd question why I had a retainer and why it wasn't removed. I grew more ashamed of it and just put it off even longer. I've even developed another cavity in my back molar which is starting to hurt (and it has a nice wee hole...lovely.) I NEED to go to a dentist. The only problem i have is, I don't know how to explain this mess on the back of my teeth! Will they remove it? What if my teeth move back to what they were like before? Do you think I will have to go to an orthodontist again cause I really really don't want to..visiting the dentist is enough! I am also embarrassed that I let all that work go to waste. I kinda feel like a jerk lol.

Okay, rant over :) I appreciate any help or support.

I told my mum about this and she said "Fiona, they are dentists...they fix teeth for a living. You're giving them a job and its better late than never." I remember someone once saying "If a dentist looks at your teeth and moans about it, its like a decorator complaining about painting a wall because he doesn't like the colour." lol

Thanks in advance for any help and support :)

Fi
x

Hello,
Dentists are used to seeing people with bad teeth! LOL....We keep them in business...They wouldn't make much money if everyone had good teeth..Most dentists will not make any judgements at all. they are there to listen and help get your teeth back to great shape...Hope you make an appointment soon!

I second what Lilly has said. The dentist should not make you feel bad about the state of your teeth. You have come to them asking them to do what they do best, fix teeth. If everyone had perfect teeth, they would be poor and very bored. I'm not sure what they will recommend regarding the retainer issue but whatever they suggest is just that; a suggestion. If you don't like what they recommend, get a second opinion. There are so many options now available to us for dentistry that I'm sure you will find an option that works for you. If you are able to, please communicate to the dental staff that you are nervous in advance so they know to be extra gentle with you. As much as I like to put on a brave face, it rarely helps anyone. Communication is key! Best of luck tomorrow...should only be a consultation so just remember that you are in control and can take things at your own pace. :XXLhug: Please let us know how you get on.

Hi Fi :)

Do you think I will have to go to an orthodontist again cause I really really don't want to

Few people really really medically NEED braces. You pretty much only "need" them if you have a bite so bad that it is causing you pain and problems eating. Since they only moved a bit, there are mouth guard type things that can move teeth a few millimeters. Which, since yours only moved slightly, might be enough. If you don't mind the way they look now, they can simply put a new retainer in or give you a mouth guard/removable retainer to keep them from moving more. If you do not want braces again, nobody can make you get them again and there certainly are other things that can be done. More than I personally know of, I'm sure.

Are you going to the same dentist you went to as a teen? If you are, did you ever consider trying someone completely new, who doesn't know you?

Your mother sounds a lot like mine, but she is right in that regard. I'm sure the dentist has seen a lot worse. I used to think that my teeth were extraordinarily terrible for someone my age, but having come across 20 somethings you never even had a filling and 20 somethings with full and partial dentures, I realized that I'm just somewhere in between. Some people can brush, floss and eat right and still won't have perfect teeth. It might look worse than it is, too. I was convinced that I had gum disease when I was 16 and it turned out that I did not.

Thanks for the support everyone!

Well here's an update. It all went really well! Much better than I expected. When I got there I was nervous. I had no idea what to do or where to go, so I said to the receptionist that I had an appointment. I was a new patient, so I was asked to fill out medical form. That all went well. I was sitting for about fifteen minutes, feeling so nervous (they were running behind in time.) I saw the dentists and dental nurses scurrying back and forth, and they all looked friendly :)

Finally I was called in. Let's just say the check up was all a blur. The dentist greeted me and asked me to sit. She then asked me if there was any concerns about my teeth. I told her the whole story. She then took a look in my mouth and I was shaking so badly!! She took details of my teeth, calling out all of this scary coding for each of them, and when she was done, she told me what was up.

Three fillings and a bit of a clean. Thats all I need! :jump: She even talked about my snapped retainer. Apparently I don't need it removed! She said she can clean around it, but she was reluctant to take all of it off in case my teeth moved back. She didn't want to touch it. I asked if I had to get it removed, and she said its fine the way it is. She said I needed a good cleaning around it and all will be good!

It all went really well! I go back as soon as Thursday to get my fillings.

All I can say is I am so so glad to have had a check up now. I'm going to keep going back. My dentist is a lovely person! She is not intimidating or doesn't embarrass you. She is very easy going and gets the job done quick! (I wasn't in for long! Maybe it was because they were running late but the quicker the better for me!)

I'll give a wee update when I get my fillings :)

Are you going to the same dentist you went to as a teen? If you are, did you ever consider trying someone completely new, who doesn't know you?

Nope! I couldn't find my old dentist :| So I had to pick a new one. Even if I did find my old dentist, I think I'd still go for a new one. New beginnings, new dentist....makes sense to me. It would also make me feel more comfortable :)

Fi
x

I'm glad that all of this worked itself out so quickly, plus that you don't need much work done and found a nice dentist that you are comfortable with. And no orthodontist either!

I wish I couldn't find any of my old dentists. Sadly they are all still practicing and I know exactly where each of them is. Word of advice: Never google an old dentist you didn't like.

Keep us updated. I really really loved success stories, you know? :)

Back