• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

The difference dental nurses/assistants make.

That
I had an extraction today and I was terrified. In fact my fear has increased so much in the past few months that I openly express it because I literally can't cope if I try and suppress it. My dentists nurse was absolutely brilliant and has been before. She is calm, very present and I know she is observing and aware. Reassuring and explaining at just the right moments.

Today at one point all I could say was, I'm scared and she was so calm and reassuring. I then said, what happens if you can't get it out. Her confident reply was, we always get them out. She makes m
I had an extraction today and I was terrified. In fact my fear has increased so much in the past few months that I openly express it because I literally can't cope if I try and suppress it. My dentists nurse was absolutely brilliant and has been before. She is calm, very present and I know she is observing and aware. Reassuring and explaining at just the right moments.

Today at one point all I could say was, I'm scared and she was so calm and reassuring. I then said, what happens if you can't get it out. Her confident reply was, we always get them out. She makes me feel able to relax a bit. The dentist is busy and it's nice to think she has her eye on me.

Afterwards I was so relieved I put my head in my hands and said thank goodness that's over. She told me how much they appreciate my fears, that I come to the appointments and that I manage so well so they can do what they need. So much respect. I love her! ??

I've figured out she works on Mondays and Thursdays for sure, so I try and book on those days.

This is really a beautiful story Sally and I'm so glad you had her today. what a difference. just wow. REally sensitive and empathetic and helpful! How are you doing now ? glad you made it through!

I had one once who didn't get it. I specifically told her do not touch this which I pointed out. It was a suture that normally she would pick up for me to cut and remove it. This particular patient might well be the most sensitive patient that I have ever had in all my years. My assistant went ahead and pulled up on the suture and the patient yelled. I told my assistant to go home. I never let that one in the room with her again and eventually fired her.

Oh on the upside this lady went through a complex implant procedure utilizing titanium mesh and tissue dissection to grow bone and later placed two implants and crowns.

I’m very aware my anxiety makes everyone uncomfortable including the assistants. My last appointment before my 15 year hiatus was uncomfortable for many reasons, (not staying numb a major one which required him to work quickly. Unfortunately, the tray wasn’t prepared correctly so he would have to stop and tell the assistant what he needed and we had to wait while she got it. Additionally, she dropped instruments and continually handed him the wrong things. I could hear him quietly huffing with agitation at her while she apologized to him and him to me trying all the while trying to keep calm. All of this increased my stress tenfold.

She listens and talks to me, shs is also very carefully with the water spray.

Thankfuly most of the dentist assistants I have seen at the practice I have attended since my first baby tooth came through have been fine.

Back