• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

The final failure-no more options

R

rbanzai

I spent Sunday night thinking positive thoughts. I read the success stories. I practiced holding my mouth open, breathing through my nose. I visualized how I would feel today after successfully getting my tooth fixed, the first dental care I’d have had in probably 20 years.

Went to the dentist and the assistant (who was there 8 years ago) took me into the exam room and immediately started getting ready to take x-rays. I reminded her that last time I had to be under IV sedation to get the xrays and that she shouldn’t try. She insisted. I said “it’s not going to work and I’m worried that you’ll get me so worked up I won’t get any help today” and she just ignored me and tried anyway. I was so frustrated that she wasn't listening to me.

I sat there fuming and feeling my chance for success fading away and of course I gagged when she tried to stick the digital film receiver in my mouth. The dentist arrived (he replaced the one that did my IV sedation last time.) Right away he started talking about how he wasn’t going to be able to help me. I was baffled because we’d emailed over the weekend and he already knew my story. I mentioned nitrous and that I’d never given that a try and he dismissed it immediately. Said it wouldn’t help with gagging. He didn't even want to try. He said he didn’t know anyone that would be able to give me dental care.

I’m crushed. Not only do I have decades of regular care that I need but I have this broken tooth that isn’t going to fix itself. I saw the notes from my IV sedation eight years ago and was surprised to see things the last dentist didn’t tell me. It took an hour just to get my xrays. I struggled the whole time, removed my oxygen mask repeatedly. When I started vomiting is when they brought me out of sedation.

None of this is normal behavior for me. Clearly the IV sedation did nothing other than allow me to forget what I went through that day. Nitrous was my last hope and considering that I had tried everything else I thought the dentist would want to give it a shot. He was happier to send me on my way without treatment or hope.

I’m out of options.

Have you tried any therapy for your gagging problem? There's exposure therapy and hypnosis therapy that can both really help. I've heard of people using these to get over their gagging to they can wear dentures. Seeing as dentures at first made even me gag (and I don't have a bad gag reflex), I imagine therapy can really be quite successful if it allows people to wear dentures!

:hug4:

After my bad experience with that dentist I did more research and found one about 20 miles away (a long way with Los Angeles traffic) who seemed very experienced, educated and well-reviewed. I had to wait until today for my exam. It was a nice, modern office. Well taken care of, unlike the last place which was quite old and worn-out.

The staff were nice, but more than that they were patient. I started with a panoramic xray which I got through okay, and then sat in the exam room with the dentist's assistant. We talked about my long history of trouble at the dentist, and then the specifics about my gagging issue.

When she wanted to take some digital pictures of my molars it was difficult but when I would raise my hand to indicate I needed a break she stopped immediately and just laughed it off. Eventually she got what she needed and called the dentist in.

We talked for a long time and then he wanted to do a basic exam. It was difficult but with frequent quick breaks of a few seconds he got what he needed. He moved on to taking some photographs which was no easier but I stuck with it because he seemed to recognize that with breaks he had a chance to keep the exam progressing.

When that was done we talked a bit more. He assured me that at the very worst I could get all my work done under a general, in his office or at a hospital. Having an additional person just for anesthesia is of course more expensive but I have a certain comfort knowing that getting my decades of neglect taken care of is now completely possible.

I told him I really wanted to take another shot at twilight sedation before going the general route and I think he understood. I told him it was okay if we just worked in phases, like dealing with only the broken tooth first. Then a return visit for crowns (I probably need 3), another for cavities (I have a handful), etc. He seemed open to it.

He made sure I understood that my teeth are really not that bad despite not having any care since the early 1990s. By persisting in trying to solve this problem I'm going to be able to take advantage of this instead of waiting until I have a mouth full of disasters.

I'm returning in one month for a game-plan meeting. I told him my goal is to get my teeth cleaned, because when that day comes it means all my other problems have been fixed. When I walked out it was the first time since I was a teenager that I left a dentist office feeling positive instead of exhausted and embarrassed.

Last edited:
WOW!

After having a second appointment to talk about the game plan, costs and scheduling yesterday morning was my first of three visits.

The plan was to put me under and do xrays, my first cleaning in over 20 years, give me a temporary crown for my broken tooth, and replace the ancient filling on my lower right rear molar (just behind the broken tooth).

I got there a little early and was a mix of unease (due to my terrible experience with sedation dentistry at the end of 2008) and hopefulness that finally I can get the dental monkey off my back. When they brought me in everyone was pleasant and upbeat, got me settled in the chair and prepping for sedation. The dentist (Dr. Amin) came and sat down next to me and chatted with me to keep me distracted. He didn't mention that he had started pushing the IV drugs but I felt myself starting to get floaty, and the last thing I recall saying was an apology in case I was a terrible patient.

I woke up and just like I'd dreamed of it was all over. Complete. They were removing the IV, etc. I barely remember getting up and I was quite woozy but unlike in 2008 I didn't feel like I'd been hit over the head with a brick.

They had a medical transport car to take me home and when I arrived is when my memories started forming again. I looked in the mirror at a temporary crown that was so much nicer than my old broken tooth that was mostly a decayed silver filling. And the tooth behind it looked brand new with a modern white filling.

No pain. I took a two hour nap, got up to eat and watch TV and then had a normal night's sleep. A tiny bit of jar discomfort from the 2.5 hour appointment. That's it.

I AM AMAZED. This is how sedation dentistry is supposed to go, not like what I experienced last time that was so bad I went almost 10 years before giving it another try. On my next visit I get a permanent crown and another tooth gets a temp, then on the final visit I get that second permanent crown and four more fillings. Done.

I'll ask to be allowed to chill out for about 40 minutes prior to transport. I'd rather not be riding along without my memory working, but otherwise this excellent result is so unreal I've yet to fully process it. DECADES of anxiety about not taking proper care of my teeth is coming to an end thanks to an extraordinary dentist.

Yay! I'm so glad it's all working out for you!!! You should write a success story for other people when you're all done.

Back