• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

The fixing of the teeth!

T

twosoulsearthreads

So, after no dental care for many years, my mouth is in SUCH terrible shape that my husband finally insisted I find a way to live through dental treatment. I tried every option for sedated dentistry...even begging the local dental hospital and speaking to dentist who treats our region's most severely mentally disabled people. Once I was blessed by a dentist who did a whole mouthfull of work on me while I was under general IV anesthesia, but he refuses to do that again, saying the risk benefit ratio is not in my favor.
I found a dentist who agrees to give me (just) Nitrous. Then my family doc wrote a script for 0.5 mg Xanax to be taken an hour before the procedure. The dentist agreed to this.
Today at 4PM I'll be having a root canal and possibly a post. I don't know what that is, exactly, and don't care. My fear is of dissociating and losing myself again. If you pray, pray for me....
Chris

Hi Chris,

Unfortunately by posting in the journal section you may not get a lot of replies as it is meant to be used as a "diary" type thread.  I didn't want you to think that no one was sympathetic to your plight.  Trust me...we've all been there and I can appreciate the fear you have.  I hope that everything went smoothly and that this experience helps you face any other work you may need.  I was pleasantly surprised at how far dentistry has come since I went many years ago.  

My thoughts and prayers are with you.  Please do post how things went, perhaps in the "share your success" section, as the fact that you made the appt. and went is certainly worth celebrating!   :party:

All the best,
Pam

Thanks, Pam! I knew that there wouldn't be many replies here and that's okay. Though replies are okay too. I was kinda just talking to myself, but knowing that it might be read, a prayer or two certainly wouldn't hurt!
I DID IT! 0.5 mg Xanax plus gas plus my hubby holding onto my leg and keeping me grounded plus the dentist letting me sit up when I needed to, and I got through a root canal just fine. No dissociation. No losing my mind.
(I have issues with being immobilized and on my back while being hurt, after a rape)
I'm thrilled to have had just one success and I'm going back for 3 posts, in two weeks.
Sigh.....oh my GOD it feels good to have just started. And know I'm not going to descend into darkness over this.
OK. Posts next. In a few months, I'm going to be able to SMILE!!! Wow! I haven't smiled in years!
Chris

Congratulations, Chris! :jump:

Really pleased that your appointment went well!

(If you want, I can move this thread into the "Support" section of this forum, where more people will read it. Just let me know :).)

G.

I like breaking rules and I think you did so well :jump:, maybe one day I can get there.

Back