• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

The Journey Starts Tomorrow

Update: I went to my 3rd deep cleaning today. I was very anxious again and I had built up lots of worries about extensive treatment and so on. So today, I decided to ask about the plan and exactly what was involved and how much more she thinks I need. Great news. She's not so worried about my gums and says the molars which have minor bone loss are quite stable and wont need looking at or anything doing for probably 5 years or more!

I asked her all about the bridge and when that would happen and she said that's up to me. So she explained what would happen and it all seems very doable and if not the nicest thing to have to do, it's not horrendous. I think I'm going to do it next month. And get my smile back.

The cleaning was relatively easy today. A few twinges but nothing much. My teeth look and feel 10 times better. I left with a smile.

I am now looking forward to having nice teeth in the front again. And to be able to smile without embarrassment. I've got very into mouth hygiene and cleaning with interdental brushes (now that I can without all the calculus!!!)

So, I might be a whole new person by the spring :cool:

Next appointment, Friday next week. I have a long weekend now so I'm going to chill and look after myself. Thank you for all your kind messages.

:cheer2: :perfect: :welldone: Great news.. I love you are really gaining some positive momentum and trust .. It seems even years later we may have anxiety on some levels but the intensity , and duration of it may go down after some trust is built and good experiences had :).. glad to hear this!

Fourth session of deep cleaning today. I am an average amount of anxious which is brilliant, given that 3 weeks ago I hadn't been able to go for 20 years!! I'll be through with this procedure in a couple of weeks and then onto the bridge. I want to get that done as soon as possible and then be able to give myself a rest from these weekly visits for a while. I am looking forward to rewarding myself with something nice.

Hope everything goes well for you @cassimoghan !! and you get a nice reward :) :)

So I had my first ever extraction yesterday. A talked me through the whole thing and reassured me every step of the way. She told me what to expect and that the noises and pressure were all completely normal. She numbed me up very well. One of the injections (that she warned might have a bit of pain) was the worse one so far but nothing terrible and over in seconds.

The extraction was over before I could believe it! Feeling pain in the evening and through the night but I just took a painkiller. A LOT better today about 15 hours later. I'm worrying like mad about dry socket but I will be back again on Tuesday for a filling so she will tell me then.

So treatment so far (that 3 weeks ago I cannot IMAGINE having gone through)

1: Check up and sent for panoramic xray
2: 1st session deep cleaning (upper back right)
3: 2nd session deep cleaning (upper back left)
4: 3rd session deep cleaning (upper 6 centre)
5: 4th session deep cleaning (bottom 6 centre)
6: 1 Extraction (far back left)

Still to come:

7: 5th session deep cleaning (bottom back right) and 1 filling replacing cracked one.
8: Final deep cleaning session (bottom back right)

9: Preparation for and fitting temporary bridge
10: Fitting permanent bridge

There may be a few checks during bridge process and then I will be going for normal cleanings every 2/3 months for a while. But that's it.

I'm over half way though and yesterday, the lovely dental assistant said I was a hero!
Although going to the dentist will never be a joy, I can honestly say that I feel ok about going.
Thank you as always for all your kind words and support!

And then the pandemic totally interupted everything! I never imagined that my treatment was going to be so delayed, almost a year. I am almost done with treatment. My permanent bridge is being made and first fitting done for the metal part. Hopefully I will have them fitted next Friday. I'm having another round of deep cleaning in two parts as I still can't take any kind of pain. She's going to replace 2 old fillings with white ones! And that's that. In 3/4 more visits, I will go to 3 times a year for the next while. Better to be safe than sorry!

I've got so used to going, I feel almost foolish for leaving it so long. I'm not looking forward to the fillings but even the temporary bridge looks amazing. I have my old smile back and I feel very proud of myself. My husband made me a Brave Girl sticker with stars on which made me laugh.

I hope you are all doing well on your dental journeys.

I will just start by saying that I haven't been to see a dentist for 20 years after suffering terrible abuse by one during childhood. I'm not going to go into details but it included filling all my molars without anesthetic and actual physical abuse. I have only recently started to even talk to my husband of 25 years about my dental phobia.

I have been having some issues in the past couple of years, pretty sure I have gum disease as one of my front teeth is a little loose and one of them has twisted slightly. And I have a gap that I never had before. My fear and embarrassment over the state of my teeth has stopped me seeking help. Now I am scared of how much work I will need done and how much it will cost.

Finally, one of my old silver fillings cracked the other day and I jumped out of my skin, realising I would have to go and get it fixed! It has started to hurt but not badly but the pain is getting worse. So I reached out to someone I know through Facebook who is a dentist. We messaged backwards and forwards a bit and I have booked an appointment which is coming up tomorrow. I had wanted to only see a woman as I was abused by a male dentist.

In a weird way, although I am scared, I am also a little relieved that this is now out in the open. She knows I'm scared and she asked me if I just wanted to come in a talk which made me feel good. She has also said that I might choose to go to a clinic where I can get a sedative if I choose (and hopefully she will help me find that if I need too).

I am really scared about the amount of treatment I might need but on the other hand, I like having a plan. I have promised myself that I will take this as slowly as I need to. After all I waited 20 years to get to this point. I tell myself that it might take 20 or more appointments to get anywhere near back on track. I am going into this expecting a fair bit of bad news. Pretty sure my gums are bad and that some drastic treatment might be needed.

The main thing I want is to at least start. So that I don't have to lie awake at nights (as I have over the past 3 years) worrying about my teeth. At least if I know how bad it is, I can at least move towards fixing it. Having said that I am now quite shaky writing this all down.

Any words of support much appreciated!
I had the same story I was also scared of the dentist when I was a child and I got worked almost on every tooth and I took a break of 10 years and when I went back after 10 years because I had pain they found 10 cavities and 2 root canals and crowns but I am done with everything already and it wasn't bad because I am older maybe it will also help for you

And then the pandemic totally interupted everything! I never imagined that my treatment was going to be so delayed, almost a year. I am almost done with treatment. My permanent bridge is being made and first fitting done for the metal part. Hopefully I will have them fitted next Friday. I'm having another round of deep cleaning in two parts as I still can't take any kind of pain. She's going to replace 2 old fillings with white ones! And that's that. In 3/4 more visits, I will go to 3 times a year for the next while. Better to be safe than sorry!

I've got so used to going, I feel almost foolish for leaving it so long. I'm not looking forward to the fillings but even the temporary bridge looks amazing. I have my old smile back and I feel very proud of myself. My husband made me a Brave Girl sticker with stars on which made me laugh.

I hope you are all doing well on your dental journeys.
Don't worry fillings is much easier then deep cleaning it's painless and easy you are already over with the worst appointments now you can relax fillings is so easy

Back