• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

The last week

D

Deepbreath

Hello all,

Newbie here. I’ve been lurking and reading posts but wanted to get involved today as it has been a stressful week. I’ve not been to the dentist for around 10 years. Annoyingly I actually loved going as a child and then a locum dentist really hurt me and I’ve been terrified ever since. I knew things weren’t good in my mouth and then a month or so ago my front bottom tooth started to wobble. I think I put it off in my mind and started eating on the other side, changing to softer foods, anything to avoid confronting it. On Tuesday morning at 5.30am it came out and I was faced with a horrible looking reflection in the mirror. You can ignore back teeth coming out but I looked terrible and was really upset.

Today I finally attended the dentist and said to him how scared I was. He was great. Very realistic that there were lots of issues not just that missing tooth but will look after me and work through them at a pace I feel comfortable with. He made a brilliant temporary bridge to see me through whilst a denture to replace that tooth is made. Not brilliant at 37 but I’m so glad I went. It is the start of a long journey and I don’t even know all of the things that need to be done yet but I’m on my way. Thanks for being so honest on here - it really encouraged me to face it.

That was a big step ? Im really glad you find a dentist that made you feel comfortable.
Same boat here a lot things to do, so scare the first visit. I have an advanced periodontal problem. A lot work to do, they did deep cleaning first on 3 of my quadrants, next week I have two extraction then they will finish with the last deep cleaning. I dont have more info o what is coming cause I said I was so nervous that I didnt want to ask ? . The most important thing is we are taking care of the problem!

Congratulations! Glad you found a dentist you would work with. It should make the next steps much easier.

Wonderful. Your dentist is a keeper.

Deepbreath,

What a great experience with your new dentist and compliments to you for stepping up and facing your fears walking in there. Even when we have emergency situations that prompt us , its hard . One step at a time building positive momentum is great! Wishing you the best for the start of this new journey! So glad he could get you that temp bridge in right away! You have great courage and alot of support on here :)

Deepbreath,

What a great experience with your new dentist and compliments to you for stepping up and facing your fears walking in there. Even when we have emergency situations that prompt us , its hard . One step at a time building positive momentum is great! Wishing you the best for the start of this new journey! So glad he could get you that temp bridge in right away! You have great courage and alot of support on here :)
Thank you. It actually was incredibly lucky as someone cancelled immediately after me otherwise it wouldn’t have been possible. Got a follow up on Tuesday to check how it is going. Ulcers are driving me mad already but they’ll go I’m sure! Thanks for your support.

Back