The never ending phobia cycle...I feel lied to about pain

A

anxiousm

Here I am, crying the night before yet another appointment. I've cried like a baby before every dental appointment in the past 2-3 years. My teeth seem to hate me. Despite as much care as I can give, I always have cavities. I have to get 3 fillings tomorrow...all in different quadrants of the mouth, all difficult to numb back teeth :(

If a genie appeared and would grant a wish, it would be to never have to set foot in a dental office again!!!! Yet the more I avoid, the more problems, and every time I go it's for a treatment that's inevitably painful. I wish this was a one and done deal. Cavities = fillings = fillings fall out/break/need to be replaced = root canal = crowns or extractions...it never ends :cry:

I feel really betrayed when I read all about how fillings should be pain-free, and then every single time I feel definite discomfort, not just 'pressure' or 'vibrating'. It makes me think people are lying to make you feel better. I have heard other people say this too...a very cold, sharp, irritating pain when drilling even when the tooth is numb.

The injections scare me enough, so the thought of three fillings is really freaking me out. Even now that I'm with a new and supposed 'pani free' dentist, I just don't trust or believe that.

Am I 100% not supposed to feel pain during a filling? Is there a level that's just unavoidable? It all scares me. Wait not long enough on numbing, pain. Wait too long, it wears off, pain. I just want to go to a cleaning for once and not be told I have to be stuck with needles and drills 😭

Gordon

Gordon

Administrator
Staff member
Verified dentist
100% not supposed to feel pain during a filling. You need to have a discussion with your dentist about this. Some folks are a bit resistant to local anaesthetic, which is why there are a load of different varieties and delivery techniques available. It should be a matter of finding what works best for you.

Secondly, have a read on here about best practice to avoid cavities, chances are that there will be something that you're doing wrong that's leading to all this decay.

letsconnect

letsconnect

Administrator
Staff member
Secondly, have a read on here about best practice to avoid cavities, chances are that there will be something that you're doing wrong that's leading to all this decay.
You can find the page that Gordon is referring to here:

Also, @Niall Neeson gave some great tips yesterday - his post is here:

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
D Never ending toothache looking for dentist . Ask a Dentist - For Nervous Patients only 2
M Never ending mystery dental drama Ask a Dentist - For Nervous Patients only 1
G I am 20 and have never been to the dentist. Help me through it? Support 3
L 35 and never had dental treatment - the time has come and am very anxious Support 9
D 33 and never been to the dentist, gathering courage to go Support 8
J Never been to the dentist and not sure where to start? Support 6
A Very nervous never had scale and polish Ask a Dentist - For Nervous Patients only 1
L Never thought I'd see this day :-) Share Your Success Story! 0
J 23, Never Been to the Dentist Support 5
16andbadteethandgums Hi. I’m 16 years old and I’ve never went to the dentist. Support 3
Ihatedentistss Embarrassed for dentist to see my mouth (root canal that was never crowned) Support 6
T I'm 32 years old and I've never been to a dentist.... Support 2
E Never been into the dentist! Support 3
S Grew up never recieving dental care. Support 3
C Afraid this pain will never go away Ask a Dentist - For Nervous Patients only 55
M I feel like it's never going to end even though I'm doing everything right Support 4
A Bad teeth & never been to dentist in a long time. Support 3
S Never been to dentist. Fear is ruining my life Support 4
R 20 y.o. hemophiliac who has never been to a dentist would like some advice **PICTURES** Support 4
N Warning to all: NEVER USE this mouthwash Dental Phobia Discussion, News and Events 7
M I never thought this day would come. Share Your Success Story! 2
N Never been to a dentist, how bad are my teeth? Support 2
L I'm 50 years old and other than having a few teeth pulled in my 20's, I've never been to a dentist. Support 1
C Never Numb finally gets numb Share Your Success Story! 0
S Never been to a dentist before - 26 years old Support 32
M I thought i would never get over my fear! Share Your Success Story! 2
E Never Admitted This Before......Any Support Would Be Appreciated Support 4
M Nervous I'm 20 never been to the dentist Support 5
J 34 and has never been to the dentist Support 5
V I have finally overcome my fear and I've never been happier Share Your Success Story! 1
T 32 years old and never been to the dentist. Support 3
B Sometimes it feels like I'll never get over this Support 3
E Never thought I had dental anxiety recently... Support 4
Y Having all four wisdoms, plus one impacted. Never had any surgery before and very nervous!! Wisdom Teeth 6
S Suffering from many issues, have never seen a dentist, terrified out of my mind Support 4
K NEVER BEEN TO THE DENTIST? We are researching a new UK documentary series Dental Phobia Discussion, News and Events 5
1 I never used to brush or floss! Is there still hope for me?? Support 4
C College Bound and Never Had a Filling (Yet) Support 12
P Never have fear in Movies again Dental Phobia Discussion, News and Events 1
W 17 and never been to a dentist. What can I expect when I go? Support 3
T I never thought I'd go back. I finally did! Share Your Success Story! 2
S Worried about my mum - she has never been to dentist Support 7
K Never been to the dentist... Support 14
T Never been to the dentist Support 2
B My Story, I have never spoken of this before Support 10
A I have never been to a dentist Support 4
kitkat For the people who feel like they will never get over the fear... Dental Phobia Discussion, News and Events 0
B Never been to dentist.... Terrified Support 6
C Just been told I need an extraction - never had one before- TERRIFIED!! Ask a Dentist - For Nervous Patients only 15
M I will never allow my phobia to do this to me again Share Your Success Story! 1