• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

The Price of Dental Health

A

AbeLinkedIn

Hey everyone, it's been a long time since I've been here but I come with good and bad news.

The good news is I've gotten over my dental phobia for the most part, which is largely the reason why I haven't visited in what feels like ages.

The bad news is my insurance situation has changed since my last appointment and I'm at my wits end. One of my molars broke and a wisdom tooth have been bugging me for the last month or so but I couldn't at the time afford any treatment. I got a dose of antibiotics which ran their course and helped until now. I might not have a fear of the dentist, especially since I have one I trust, but I fear the financial aspects.

I'm in the US. I don't have dental insurance, and I've been in a bind thanks to the Covid-19 situation. I'm honestly just considering having it yanked out because it's cheaper in the long run and my dentist doesn't do RCT, I'd have to build rapport with another doctor which would in turn reset my anxiety. The one thing aside from cost that scares me about getting an extraction is dry socket.

I really don't know what to do at this stage. I just feel like dying

I just had 6 teeth extracted on Monday of this week. I was so worried about dry sockets and having to deal with it in 6 different places, but I have nothing like dry sockets and I think I am pretty much over that fear now. I think I would have felt something by now if I were going to get them. If you have to have the tooth out just make sure to follow all of the instructions. Dry socket is very rare and usually happens when the instructions are not followed. Good luck.

I just had 6 teeth extracted on Monday of this week. I was so worried about dry sockets and having to deal with it in 6 different places, but I have nothing like dry sockets and I think I am pretty much over that fear now. I think I would have felt something by now if I were going to get them. If you have to have the tooth out just make sure to follow all of the instructions. Dry socket is very rare and usually happens when the instructions are not followed. Good luck.
That's reassuring. But what about the cost? Was it terribly expensive? That's the one thing holding me back from getting treated and I don't feel right taking out a loan or borrowing money from family to cover it.

I had a lot of things done besides just the extractions. I also had a deep cleaning, fillings, and a root canal. I have dental insurance but it did not pay for a lot of it. I only have up to a 1,500 benefit for major restorative. I can tell you that each tooth that was extracted cost 314.00 a piece to extract. Plus I was put under iv sedation for everything so I don’t know how much the numbing costs without that. Sorry I can’t be more helpful on the cost issue.

If all I decide to do is have mine pulled under local sedation it might be less. I appreciate the help either way, it's just frustrating the moment I get over a fear, something bigger is waiting in the wings

Hi Abe,

Did you consult your dentist about the insurance problem? Just an email explaining the situation? Maybe there is a solution.

Abelinkedin,

First off I'm glad that you sound like you have a dentist you can trust and your general dental anxiety went down. It does really stink that once you get past that hurdle you have to think about the financial one . I hear you there and wish we didn't have to choose our health OR finances. our finaces OR keeping the tooth.. I've lost many due to this . I gave up quick not feeling hope.

What I did find out is maybe sometimes there is hope for figuring out a way financially even though the system in US. stinks to put it mildly.. I did myself finally find a dentist willing to work with me financially to put payments at a level I can afford and do the work I need. He's the first in years.. and I feel really blessed.

:grouphug: I'm not even sure what to say but there is hope out there , if I found it maybe you can too. I hope you get a solution you can feel at peace and comfortable as possible with . whether its RC and other work or pulling.

Back