• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

The right treatment pathway?

M

MelJJ

Hi,

I have posted this on the Support part of this forum but I would also like a dentist's view from here if possible please:

I'm terrified of dentists and haven't been for many many years. I have lost a few teeth over the years but I now need all my teeth pulled and will need dentures. I have spent the last two months researching dentists - and of course no dentists are taking on NHS patients. I have spoken to my GP after reading about the SCDS and thought he would refer me to them but he said not to be surprised if it is declined (although dental phobia is one of their criteria) because dentists are geared up for anxious patients. I have since found out he has referred me to the Oral and Maxillofacial service instead. Would this be the correct route to take?

Thank you for any comments.

GPs almost always refer to hospital consultants, hence an OMFS referral, the OMFS team will (depending on where in the country you are) have links to the local Special Care service and will pass on your referral to them.
They don't want non-OMFS referrals clogging up their waiting list targets :)

Back