• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

The time has come ....

C

ChrissyO

Hello all , after months of research and interviewing surgeons it's go time ! For years I have put off having my Periodontal disease treated. My teeth hurt , bleed and are loose and still my fear kept me from going to the dentist. Fast forward 4 years and here we are ! Because I waited so long I am now losing all of my upper teeth and will be getting implants. Thankfully the bottom teeth can be saved and I will have gum surgery on 4/20. That surgery does not seem quite as scary as it will take place in a surgical center and I will be out for the procedure. I have spent months working through my dental fear and have come a long way to get to this point. This forum has helped a lot ! I am wondering if anyone has had full upper extractions and what this healing process will be like ? I go in on Tuesday for impressions which has me rattled . I don't know what to expect which usually contributes to the anxiety. They have told me I have a few loose teeth that may actually come out with the impression which has me freaking out as well. Anyone have this experience ? Thank you for the help !

Hi ChrissyO,

well done on getting this sorted. Sounds like it was a lot of effort and now you're almost there.
Never had full extractions myself, but from reading around, the recovery is not as bad as most people anticipate. You may struggle with the immediate denture a bit and need to get in for adjustment now and then.

How did the impressions go? Teeth coming out during impressions can happen and the dental team has to inform you, but at the same time they will be very dedicated to find a way to not have it happen. I did a few impressions for people with loose teeth and never had one coming out. It's past Tuesday now so I really hope your teeth stayed in as well. If you can, give us an update.

Good Morning Enarete and thank you for your response . Yesterday went so very well. They decided to bond the loose teeth so they did not come out. The dental assistant and dentist were both wonderful and made me feel very safe. My surgery has now been scheduled for next Wednesday. This first hurdle was a success and each success helps me over come my fears a bit each time :)

Back