• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

The uncaring, dishonest Dentist is gone

K

kaekae

in January, I went to my dentist - but on the 4th instead of the 14th (oops). They told me I could see another dentist at the practice so I wouldn't have to spend another night worrying.
That was a big mistake - she was very bad, told me I had one tiny cavity that she could fill then so I wouldn't have to come back, and then filled 4 without novacaine! and then said I had to make an appt for another one. and talked about having trouble breathing, choking, all those things i was trying not to do. her "small talk" was worse then the sound of the drill - which says alot and other stuff. I barely held it together until I could get to my car.
Today, I went for my filling appt - with my REAL dentist. and it was kinda bad (he didn't want to do a full "block" which I assume means drooling numb. and the novacaine he put in didn't help much.) (he apologized several times for hurting me) but I discovered one very important thing.
She is Gone! The receptionist (such a sweet lady) told me that she "was at another office now." I was so relieved.
I am sorry; it is rude to wish her on someone else - but I was dreading even seeing her. So this makes me Happy - I hope I never see her again.
On the bright side, going to the dentist is a teeny tiny bit better cause it is Not her! :) When I get worried, I just remember "it isn't her."
Whether this relief lasts till my next appt in July - I don't know.

Think you need to find a dentist/dental practice who doesn't think it the norm to hurt you during treatment....:confused:

My Dentist doesn't think that (the other one I don't know about but she isn't my problem - she isn't going anywhere near my mouth). That was why he apologized so much about it - it's rare. Usually my problem at the dentist is gagging, breathing issues, or just plain old fear (He was doing something with the drill off to the side and just the sound messed me up). The pain wasn't really THAT bad (I've had much much worse), but he could tell I hurt and he changed the drill to go slower and used the pick more so it wouldn't hurt as much. I think he was surprised that the Novacaine didn't help enough.
My dentist is great (for a dentist) - however, I can't say the same thing for the others at his practice. So when I recommend him, I specify him and not the practice.
I am dreading when he decides to retire (he is Old - snow white hair kinda grandfatherly) since I don't know what I am going to do. I am scared I will slip back to my old ways and go another 7 years without going to the dentist.