The Waiting Game

M

MountainMama

It's been 8 days since my deep filling and I finally managed to eat a normal meal with very little pain. I even topped it off with some ice cream for dessert and the sensitivity wasn't too bad. Seems like the mild nagging pain comes in waves, especially if I catch myself clenching while being focused on something else. I really hope this no pain spell continues. I'm so tired of my mouth feeling irritated.
That is great news! Maybe it is finally starting to settle!

M

MoonRabbit

Barely have any pain now. I can floss without it hurting. Biting down on something hard does cause some pressure, and I still have cold sensitivity. I know during my next appointment my dentist is going to say it needs rct. But luckily I found a place that accepts my insurance and does payment plans so I could always go there if need be.

Enarete

Enarete

Forum Buddy
That's great news, MoonRabbit! If the tooth is getting better then that's a good sign! It might be a good idea to give it some time.

A young dentist in my practice once told me he had a tooth that needed three months to settle after a deep filling. They all suggested him to get a root canal treatment as they thought the filling failed but he was reluctant to. After three months the tooth was fine. This experience makes him to always try to give filled teeth some time to settle before suggesting root canal treatment and in many cases it's about how long the people can hold on.

So if things are getting better for you then maybe the tooth will manage to stop hurting all by itself. Just out of curiosity, had you gotten the night guard in between?

M

MoonRabbit

No I haven't invested in a night guard yet. Any amount of cash I have left over, as little as it may be, has been going into my emergency rct fund.

It does feel like it is getting better, but then I read things online how a dying tooth can cause little to no pain and all I keep thinking is if I wait this out I may be doing more harm than good. I'm really nervous to discuss this during my upcoming visit. I get the impression my dentist is a little extraction happy, she always recommends pulling a tooth before giving me any options on if it could be saved.