• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

The Waiting Game

It's been 8 days since my deep filling and I finally managed to eat a normal meal with very little pain. I even topped it off with some ice cream for dessert and the sensitivity wasn't too bad. Seems like the mild nagging pain comes in waves, especially if I catch myself clenching while being focused on something else. I really hope this no pain spell continues. I'm so tired of my mouth feeling irritated.

That is great news! Maybe it is finally starting to settle!

Barely have any pain now. I can floss without it hurting. Biting down on something hard does cause some pressure, and I still have cold sensitivity. I know during my next appointment my dentist is going to say it needs rct. But luckily I found a place that accepts my insurance and does payment plans so I could always go there if need be.

That's great news, MoonRabbit! If the tooth is getting better then that's a good sign! It might be a good idea to give it some time.

A young dentist in my practice once told me he had a tooth that needed three months to settle after a deep filling. They all suggested him to get a root canal treatment as they thought the filling failed but he was reluctant to. After three months the tooth was fine. This experience makes him to always try to give filled teeth some time to settle before suggesting root canal treatment and in many cases it's about how long the people can hold on.

So if things are getting better for you then maybe the tooth will manage to stop hurting all by itself. Just out of curiosity, had you gotten the night guard in between?

No I haven't invested in a night guard yet. Any amount of cash I have left over, as little as it may be, has been going into my emergency rct fund.

It does feel like it is getting better, but then I read things online how a dying tooth can cause little to no pain and all I keep thinking is if I wait this out I may be doing more harm than good. I'm really nervous to discuss this during my upcoming visit. I get the impression my dentist is a little extraction happy, she always recommends pulling a tooth before giving me any options on if it could be saved.

Well I was supposed to get the rest of my fillings done today. After a horrible night's sleep, fear and anxiety, I made it to my appointment just to be told it was canceled and they rescheduled me for a month from today.

They said they kept calling me to tell me my appointment was changed but I only got one voicemail to confirm my original appointment. I'm not mad just disappointed, I mean out of 4 appointments so far 2 have been rescheduled on their behalf... not mine. I know things can come up and crap happens but I would prefer to just get everything over with. Now I have to have weeks of anxiety all over again.

Well I was supposed to get the rest of my fillings done today. After a horrible night's sleep, fear and anxiety, I made it to my appointment just to be told it was canceled and they rescheduled me for a month from today.

They said they kept calling me to tell me my appointment was changed but I only got one voicemail to confirm my original appointment. I'm not mad just disappointed, I mean out of 4 appointments so far 2 have been rescheduled on their behalf... not mine. I know things can come up and crap happens but I would prefer to just get everything over with. Now I have to have weeks of anxiety all over again.

Oh no! I am so sorry. That would drive me crazy! I have only had an appointment pushed back once, because the dentist got sick, and it was just pushed a few days. I can't imagine a month. It would bother me that they didn't contact you. If they left the original message, they obviously have your correct number.

Grrr. So frustrating!

How frustrating :(! What about the other place that you found that accepts your insurance and does payment plans? Did you manage to find any reviews about them?

I would be disheartened by the reschedule too, its hard enough to deal with the anxiety before than only to have it put off is just hard.. maybe you can call to see if they have had any cancels before to lessen the time between?

So sorry to read this. So much anxiety and preparing to get your fillings and all for nothing. I wished you would have a place that is more reliable about your appointments.

No I haven't invested in a night guard yet. Any amount of cash I have left over, as little as it may be, has been going into my emergency rct fund.

It does feel like it is getting better, but then I read things online how a dying tooth can cause little to no pain and all I keep thinking is if I wait this out I may be doing more harm than good. I'm really nervous to discuss this during my upcoming visit. I get the impression my dentist is a little extraction happy, she always recommends pulling a tooth before giving me any options on if it could be saved.
Watch the “extraction happy” dentist I’m starting to think mine was too although I had an abscess and was in a lot of pain her first words were to pull I regret now the not knowing for sure if it was the right thing. The tooth was loose but was loose for awhile with no real issues and the Round of antibiotics didn’t seem to fix it 100% but now I’ll never know since the infection scared me so much along with the pain that I had them extract. Is so hard to even type that ? So get a second even third opinion if first words from a dentist is extract! I know I’d feel better if I had waited

Watch the “extraction happy” dentist I’m starting to think mine was too although I had an abscess and was in a lot of pain her first words were to pull I regret now the not knowing for sure if it was the right thing. The tooth was loose but was loose for awhile with no real issues and the Round of antibiotics didn’t seem to fix it 100% but now I’ll never know since the infection scared me so much along with the pain that I had them extract. Is so hard to even type that ? So get a second even third opinion if first words from a dentist is extract! I know I’d feel better if I had waited
If it makes you feel better, I had my 2nd molar extracted after having gone through a root canal, an apicoectomy, and a retreatment. The oral surgeon who extracted the tooth said it was loose, and definitely needed to be extracted. So at least you didn't go through a lot of expensive treatments, only to have the tooth pulled.
With my front tooth, that had a huge abscess, the tooth was not loose. The dentist checked the tooth for mobility before she decided it could be saved.

It is really hard to let the "what ifs?" get you down. I know it is also really hard to lose a tooth.

If it makes you feel better, I had my 2nd molar extracted after having gone through a root canal, an apicoectomy, and a retreatment. The oral surgeon who extracted the tooth said it was loose, and definitely needed to be extracted. So at least you didn't go through a lot of expensive treatments, only to have the tooth pulled.
With my front tooth, that had a huge abscess, the tooth was not loose. The dentist checked the tooth for mobility before she decided it could be saved.

It is really hard to let the "what ifs?" get you down. I know it is also really hard to lose a tooth.
Thank you for you reply, Yes that does make me feel a bit better. She did say there was a lot of “stuff” under the tooth and she cleaned it out. It’s just so hard and happened so fast I had no time to think about it. So glad your front tooth was able to be saved ? and everything is starting to work out better for you ? I hope we both are on the road to better dental health ? we sure could use a break!

Got a call today from the office asking if I would be able to come in tomorrow morning for the rest of my fillings. I agreed without even really thinking it over.
My scheduled appointment was only 11 days away so I'm not sure why they want me with such little notice. Now I got it in my head that it's something bad. But maybe they just had a cancellation and want to fill it? Idk I guess it could be best for me to have little time to dwell on it.

I'm so nervous right now.

Got a call today from the office asking if I would be able to come in tomorrow morning for the rest of my fillings. I agreed without even really thinking it over.
My scheduled appointment was only 11 days away so I'm not sure why they want me with such little notice. Now I got it in my head that it's something bad. But maybe they just had a cancellation and want to fill it? Idk I guess it could be best for me to have little time to dwell on it.

They probably had a cancellation. My dentist will call and try to fill cancellations with appointments that would take similar time frames.

Good for you! This will be less time to worry.

DON’T STRESS! This has happened to me several times! They are just moving up appointments to fill a cancellation. Sometimes, I say yes...sometimes, I say no... it all depends on how spontaneous I feel that day and whether I’m actually available. I sort of made a thread about this a few years ago talking about preference with impromptu treatment. I’m still on the fence about it. Once, I went in for a “consult” on a broken filling and my dentist asked if she could replace it right then and there and I said yes! I had no expectation of treatment that day, I thought we were only going to assess and make another appointment to come back later. I was pretty calm though and I think it’s because I didn’t really have time to process what was happening.

Sitting in the waiting room. I'm a nervous wreck. Barely got any sleep last night. It doesnt help that I'm a day or two away from my monthly visitor so my anxiety is at its peak. I really hope all goes well, I dont want to go through this again :sick:

Moon Rabbit.. all my positive thoughts are with you right now. Hope things go well and they are so kind and patient through the process!! and ugh on the monthly visitor. sorry about that one. :(. blah, doesn't help. Let us know how it goes..

Sending all my positive vibes to you! You can do it!

Thanks. I'm going to try the laughing gas today. I'm really scared I'm going to react negatively to it. I'm trying to breathe and keep my cool but the fight or flight mode is strong.

Thanks. I'm going to try the laughing gas today. I'm really scared I'm going to react negatively to it. I'm trying to breathe and keep my cool but the fight or flight mode is strong.

I hope you are in and feeling calmer now. I am sending good thoughts your way!

Back