• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

The Waiting Game

I'm home now. The gas worked really well for me, it was the most relaxed I ever could be in the chair. Some bad news though, she said one cavity was a little deeper than she expected on my front tooth and I will most likely have sensitivity for a few weeks. I dont think I can handle another tooth waiting game.

So glad to hear the gas worked well for you and you were relaxed! Hope that tooth behaves for you even better than expected!

I am so glad the nitrous worked! A lot of deep fillings settle and don't give any issues. Hopefully yours will be just fine!

I am so glad the nitrous worked! A lot of deep fillings settle and don't give any issues. Hopefully yours will be just fine!

I'm really going to try and remain positive. Besides needing my deep cleaning which I have scheduled for next month. My dentist said if all goes well i wont have to see her for 6 months. I'm really looking forward to that long break.

I'm really going to try and remain positive. Besides needing my deep cleaning which I have scheduled for next month. My dentist said if all goes well i wont have to see her for 6 months. I'm really looking forward to that long break.
Oh man...6 months without a dental visit would be so nice! I hope that is true for you!

I have my deep cleaning tomorrow morning and I'm starting to get extremely nervous...

I have my deep cleaning tomorrow morning and I'm starting to get extremely nervous...

Sending positive vibes! If it helps, I have read about many successful deep cleans recently where people were very happy afterward!

For some reason they scheduled me for a regular cleaning instead of a deep cleaning. The hygienist didn't have time to fit me in for a deep cleaning so she did a regular one. She was super sweet and talked to me the whole time and said that she got most of the build up off on the surface so my next 2 appointments for the deep cleaning won't take as long.

It's a little annoying that I now have to wait until the last day of May for my clean but at the same time I'm kind of relieved. After the cleaning I immediately Hated the feel of my back lower front teeth. So full of gaps and I think the recession is worse than I expected. At least it looks exactly the same from the front....but I keep trying my best not to touch my tongue against those teeth.

I've been crying a lot every time I feel them which is practically inevitable not to. I hate this so much.

Sorry to hear things did not go as expected but I am glad to hear that the cleaning went well. It can be very frustrating when things do not go according to plan and you have already been stressing over it for some time. The lower front teeth are a notorious area for getting tartar and calculus. Just remember that even though it does not feel great at the moment, it is free of some of the bacteria that was eating away at the gum/bones and will help your mouth to heal. You made great strides today and should take a moment to feel proud and pat yourself on the back for taking steps towards improving your health. Be kind to yourself and know that you did what many other members are still trying to gather the courage to do. Things will get better. :XXLhug:

Guess it's been a little while since I've updated this journal. I'm starting to get a little better with my dental phobia. I finally got my wisdom teeth out a week ago, which is an enormous feat for me and I actually feel pretty proud of myself.

Today I had a cleaning, I really adore my hygienist, she is so sweet, caring and gentle. But at the end of my cleaning she unexpectedly told me I had a surprise visit from the dentist. I still had a few months to go until I saw the actual dentist and I always get really anxious about it. So the dentist comes is and looks over my teeth and says everything is fine, I have a good set, but then she asked if I brush my tongue. I told her I do and then she had me swish with the special mouth wash that stains the tongue blue and told me it is the bacteria. Her words exactly " This is not a good representation of a tongue because of all the bacteria on it. You need to brush your tongue harder". I felt so embarrassed because my fiance was in the next cube over getting his teeth cleaned and he overheard everything.

I know it is constructive criticism, and I'm kinda happy I have a dentist that is a perfectionist. I also have to take into consideration that she is Russian and English is not her first language, so everything she says is pretty straight forward. But I felt ashamed when I had to see my partner right after that. Of course he doesn't care and loves me no matter what but it's still embarrassing and I'm happy our next appointments won't be together again...

Good for you on getting your wisdom teeth out! That is a huge accomplishment. I am happy to hear that you have a hygienist that you really love. That can be so hard to find. Sorry to hear about what happened with the surprise dentist visit...sounds like you were really put on the spot. There are certainly nicer ways of educating patients about good oral hygiene but I can understand if there is a bit of a language barrier it can sound harsher than it should have. My dentist is a bit of perfectionist and tends to nit pick sometimes but I appreciate her attention to detail. It’s a difficult balance to establish.

Hi, I was just reading up on your story. Congrats on the wisdom extraction! Did your original tooth settle? Did you ever need the root canal or is all ok?

Hi, I was just reading up on your story. Congrats on the wisdom extraction! Did your original tooth settle? Did you ever need the root canal or is all ok?

Thank you! As for the tooth it did end up settling. It is still sensitive to cold but my dentist said as long as it's not painful or throbbing things should be ok.

Back