• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

The Wand is AWESOME

E

Ellagirl

I had a periodontal cleaning last week and my hygienist used the STA Wand to numb my teeth. The Wand is a computer controlled method for local anesthetic. Not only was it painless, but it worked better than the usual injections. For anyone afraid of needles or injections, I can't say enough good things about this system.

Oh wow I want to know more about the Wand. What it is, etc.

I had my last appt yesterday for my deep cleaning. The injections hurt incredibly bad the first time, but the second appt I had taken vicodin and ativan so it did not hurt as bad, though it was still very uncomfortable. If I ever need to have a deep cleaning again, im finding someone with a wand.

do i have premisson to post a vid of the wand

Fine by me. I had an extraction and bone grafting on Monday to prepare for an implant and was told the Wand wouldn't work for that because it didn't go deep enough. Luckily I was on some oral meds that took the edge off the injections. But the Wand truly was painless and effective for the periodontal cleaning. Sometimes you just have to ask. I needed a small filling on the Buccal of one of my teeth and asked my General Dentist to use a Ligamajet. He'd never tried that before but he did it for me and it worked! It wore off soon after he was done and I had no numbness or pain!

The wand is truly awesome it has totally changed my attitude towards visiting the dentists . I have now had fillings and gum surgery using the wand and tomorrow am having veneers and crowns fitted....again with the wand, I was going to have IV sedation but have now decided i'll be ok with just the wand ! God if this had been around years ago i don't think I'd have developed Dental phobia. This should now be used as standard especially for kids.
A Huge Wand fan x:)

I agree...it is one of the best inventions....ever!

I don't mind having injections with it whatsoever...even the blocks are hardly noticeable!

For me, I have found the combination of plain Carbocaine or Prilocaine and The Wand to be the best solution.

The Wand-
It is a microprocessor controlled injection unit. It does use a needle the same size as what is used in a normal dental injections. The difference is that the wand controls the rate of injection. By injecting slowly the area becomes anesthetized as fast as the slow injection. It does an excellent job in teaching dentists how to give injections. I bought one years ago and patients told me that like my injections so I still have the wand but don't use it anymore. The real key is a very slow injection based on observing the plunger moving very slowly. A dentist can't just go by back pressure.

The Wand-
It is a microprocessor controlled injection unit. It does use a needle the same size as what is used in a normal dental injections. The difference is that the wand controls the rate of injection. By injecting slowly the area becomes anesthetized as fast as the slow injection. It does not eliminate pain upon piercing the tissue. It does an excellent job in teaching dentists how to give injections. I bought one years ago and patients told me that they preferred my injections over the wand injections so I still have the wand but don't use it anymore. The real key is a very slow injection based on observing the plunger moving very slowly. A dentist can't just go by back pressure.

I still much prefer The Wand.

My dentist mostly uses 'regular' injections but does have The Wand available upon request for those who ask for it.

I have noticed that my dentist uses larger needles (25g) for 'regular' injections versus 27g when using The Wand.

I have never once had an unpleasant experience with The Wand, and if I did have to search for another dentist for whatever reason I would only be going to them if they had The Wand.

Back