• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

The Wisdom Teeth are Gone! :D

K

Kelly1007

I had all four of my wisdom teeth removed yesterday, and after relying on this forum and website for months to ease my fears and questions, I'm glad I can finally share my success story!

My two biggest fears were complications from the IV sedation, or having permanent numbess after removal. This was all I could think about in the 7 weeks I had to wait for my appointment, so I had been a nervous wreck over this for far too long. (and I had made the mistake of repeatedly Googling everything that could go wrong, ahh!)

My appointment yesterday morning, I made it all the way there with my mom and somehow had not yet broken down crying, which was surprising. But as soon as I heard the nurse call my name, the minute I followed her into the surgery room and sat down in the chair, the tears came! Being in my 20s, I felt kind of silly :p My nurse was extremely understanding and caring, and she immediately comforted me so my tears stopped almost as soon as they had started :)

After the standard questions in came the second nurse, and they began to hook me up to all of the machines to monitor me, and gave me the prick in the hand for the IV sedation when the time comes. Surprisingly that didn't bother me at all! Then they placed the nitrous mask on my face, the lovely heavenly nitrous!;) For the next 20 minutes, while waiting for my surgeon to arrive, I breathed in the calming nitrous and made lovely small talk with my nurses as they asked me questions about my schooling, my work, etc. I began to feel like I could really truly do this.

When the surgeon arrived, despite feeling calm, the minute he entered the room my heart rate began to race, as we could all hear on the monitoring machine (everyone had a good chuckle out of that! :p). My nurse held my hand and chuckled while telling me to relax. He asked me if I had any questions, and told me he was the doctor I was going to love because he had the "good drugs". I began to purposely take deep breaths of the nitrous so I could continue to stay calm, and I guess I didn't realise at the time, but at that same time he was putting in the sedation medication. My surgeon asked "who are you here with today?" and I replied (while getting very dizzy) "my mom" and he said "oh she is going to take such good care of you this week!" And that's the last I remember!

I woke up with a start in a different room, with gauze in my mouth. I was surprised but I woke up rather alert, and knew immediately where I was. My literal first thought upon waking was "oh thank god". I saw a nurse so I waved to her to let her know I was awake. Within 10 minutes I was with my mom being lead out to the car ready to go home :jump:

It's been about 36 hours since the time of surgery, and thanks to my medications I have been in almost no pain! The numbing wore off, with no permanent numbness or nerve damage (woo!) and I have been relaxing eating soup and pudding, and dozing in front of the TV. Not too bad a deal :) I want to thank this website and forum community for helping me through my fears this last month!! And to anyone who is afraid, I PROMISE you if I can do it you can do it too!!! ;D

Thanks and well done for letting me hear a good story. How are you now?

I had all four of my wisdom teeth removed yesterday, and after relying on this forum and website for months to ease my fears and questions, I'm glad I can finally share my success story!

My two biggest fears were complications from the IV sedation, or having permanent numbess after removal. This was all I could think about in the 7 weeks I had to wait for my appointment, so I had been a nervous wreck over this for far too long. (and I had made the mistake of repeatedly Googling everything that could go wrong, ahh!)

My appointment yesterday morning, I made it all the way there with my mom and somehow had not yet broken down crying, which was surprising. But as soon as I heard the nurse call my name, the minute I followed her into the surgery room and sat down in the chair, the tears came! Being in my 20s, I felt kind of silly :p My nurse was extremely understanding and caring, and she immediately comforted me so my tears stopped almost as soon as they had started :)

After the standard questions in came the second nurse, and they began to hook me up to all of the machines to monitor me, and gave me the prick in the hand for the IV sedation when the time comes. Surprisingly that didn't bother me at all! Then they placed the nitrous mask on my face, the lovely heavenly nitrous!;) For the next 20 minutes, while waiting for my surgeon to arrive, I breathed in the calming nitrous and made lovely small talk with my nurses as they asked me questions about my schooling, my work, etc. I began to feel like I could really truly do this.

When the surgeon arrived, despite feeling calm, the minute he entered the room my heart rate began to race, as we could all hear on the monitoring machine (everyone had a good chuckle out of that! :p). My nurse held my hand and chuckled while telling me to relax. He asked me if I had any questions, and told me he was the doctor I was going to love because he had the "good drugs". I began to purposely take deep breaths of the nitrous so I could continue to stay calm, and I guess I didn't realise at the time, but at that same time he was putting in the sedation medication. My surgeon asked "who are you here with today?" and I replied (while getting very dizzy) "my mom" and he said "oh she is going to take such good care of you this week!" And that's the last I remember!

I woke up with a start in a different room, with gauze in my mouth. I was surprised but I woke up rather alert, and knew immediately where I was. My literal first thought upon waking was "oh thank god". I saw a nurse so I waved to her to let her know I was awake. Within 10 minutes I was with my mom being lead out to the car ready to go home :jump:

It's been about 36 hours since the time of surgery, and thanks to my medications I have been in almost no pain! The numbing wore off, with no permanent numbness or nerve damage (woo!) and I have been relaxing eating soup and pudding, and dozing in front of the TV. Not too bad a deal :) I want to thank this website and forum community for helping me through my fears this last month!! And to anyone who is afraid, I PROMISE you if I can do it you can do it too!!! ;D

Congrats! I had all four of my wisdom teeth removed when I was 14, and my experience was very similar to yours! I remember crying in fear before I was sedated, and the nurse was also calm and understanding. I remember the heart monitor too but I'm not sure if it started racing when the surgeon came in or not. =P I didn't feel a thing at all, either. I do remember starting to come awake just as they were putting the stitches in and the gauze in my mouth, but I didn't feel any pain, just was vaguely aware of the work they were doing. When I woke up I was extremely groggy, and kept asking if I was alive. :giggle:

They gave me antibiotics afterwards...I have no idea which type, but they really made me sleepy. I can even tell you that the date of my surgery was around June 5th, 2004: because I remember Ronald Reagan's funeral on TV. I slept so much from those pills though. Lol.

Back