• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

They're throwing my teeth out with the bathwater!

K

kidk

Help! I need some advice, or guidance, or something - somebody to bounce this off of..

Now I've always brushed, tried to keep my teeth nice but I've had horrible luck flossing - chipping teeth with the thread, tearing the string between teeth, summoning up blood or being unable to remove the string have all been commonplace for me.

Anyway things were okay until I was 18, went to Europe on a vacation, chipped my front tooth on French bread - and when I came back I went to a dentist to see what could be done.

He told me right then - a month after the initial chip - that the whole of the front teeth was shot from the root up, and he'd have to pull them.

I *knew* he was wrong! I could see a whole row of near-perfect teeth, minus a chip in the front one, and I was only 18! You could see on the films that the teeth were not "shot." So I left, or more precisely, ran away.

Over the next several years, my second tooth chipped, and gradually my front two teeth began to look very bad - small and angular. Someone actually came up to me on the bus and complimented me on having filed my teeth down like a Klingon. He was confused when I told him I hadn't done that.

And today I went into a new dentist, having finally been on the job long enough to have insurance, thinking I would finally get this dealt with.
I'm 28 now, and I feel that time is passing me by. So I go in there with high hopes.

The dentist's assistant takes several x-ray shots from all directions, including a panoramic (during which process the tech didn't care if the apparatus was chipping bottom front tooth blade surface), then - the actual dentist looks at the film for NO MORE THAN THREE MINUTES - and comes out and tells me,

"Yeah, poor baby, looks like these teeth have seen better days..." And leads into her plan to rip out every tooth in my head save two bottom eyeteeth, and fit me for dentures.

Dentures at 28???? I don't have Polio, I'm not a crack-head! Why would I have to go all the way to DENTURES at 28?

She tells me the cost of "1400 for each tooth" to do an implant would be way to high, something like 30,000 for the whole mouth. I tell her I'm not deterred by that figure and am willing to keep working at it until it's done. I tell her pain and fear won't stand in my way if there's something I can do to have TERRA FIRMA in the mouth at the end - implants or something that doesn't float in a cup by the side of my bed at night.

She tells me that "well let's do the extractions, then let the dentures sit in there about 6 months or a year, make sure all the bacteria is gone and everything, and then we can look at what we have and think about doing implants."

What I need to know, or at least guess-timate, is, is this lady giving me the grim and ugly truth that all dentists will echo? Or is she reading me by my appearance and age as being only good for the $1800 extraction costs over insurance, and not the long-term 30k that implants (might) cost? Or is she just making an easy solution for a long and convoluted problem?

I'm 28, and I haven't been in any kind of a relationship with anybody in over 5 years because of appearance. The last girl who asked me to kiss her I said no (and not because of her, but she didn't believe that - she had great teeth) ... I'm still in my twenties and I'm not a bad looking guy. But if I get float-in-the-glass dentures at my age, I'm thinking there's a good chance it won't endear me to the opposite sex. And at my age, my priority with my teeth is less about "feeling good" and more about "looking good." I don't know what to do..

The thought of me having dentures at 28 is horrifying, and I don't think justifying it or getting comfortable with it is going to change that.

Open to any advice - thanks for listening - :scared::ROFLMAO::scared:

Its tough to say without looking at the films...is there any way you could get a hold of your pano? If you have decay to the point where the restorability of the tooth is questionable then extraction is probably the better option. Another reason may be excessive bone loss (maybe due to periodontal disease). I'm not saying that you actually have any of these, but they are some of the reasons why teeth are extracted. If you're unsure about what your dentist told you, it wouldn't hurt to get a second opinion.

Thanks so much for listening.. You guys are really awesome and I'm lucky this site is here... I will be posting the panoramic tonight if I can..

What kills me is that I actually don't suffer from a lot of tooth problems, almost never any pain, except from the place where a tooth in the back had been extracted a long time ago... I do suffer a lot from the poor self image (and poor objective image) of my front tooth damage, feeling like I can't talk to people, girls, go out with friends; like people in public think I'm scum -typical fears of those with bad-looking teeth... Even if I had to get it all dealt with again in ten years, having ten years with front tooth implants that stay in would be a .dream. for me.. For me, the value of having it "done for life" via dentures is not so great.. But looking closer to normal would be like a wish come true.. But dentures? I have a row of teeth on the front top and front bottom that have no problems - don't understand why they would want to yank those..

.. Also found out this particular dentist had been a chiropractor for many years and just got cert for dental in the last couple years.. Crossing fingers for a good second opinion..:(

I am confused as to why the dentist is telling you what is and isnt too expensive, that is your call to make, not theirs. If you are willing to and have the means to pay for implants, unless they are giving you a medical reason otherwise, then find a dentist who specializes in implants. I think most people opt for dentures due to the very high cost of implants.

Back