• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Think Mum went to Dentist & booked me appointment

I

Issy

OMG. I am panicking like mad :scared: :scared:

Think mum just went to the Dentist & booked me an appointment.!!!!!!!

As she went she said, 'Just going to the De - to get petrol' (quickly changing the sentence) !!

:cry: I FEEL SO SICK and PETRIFIED. Why would she go behind my back ?!

I'm to scared to ask her :hidesbehindsofa: :hidesbehindsofa:

HELP ME I'M PANICKING :hidesbehindsofa: :scared::scared:

Re: Think Mum went to Dentist & booked me appointm

Issy, try not to panic. She may have done that but why would she actually go there when she could just call? I'll let you in on a little secret. When I was young I used to get so sick before my dental appointments that I would throw up 3 or 4 days before. I also used to throw away the reminder cards so my parents wouldn't know it was that time. They finally caught on to me and start secretly making appointments. I would think we were going to the store and they would just casually drop me off at the dentist. At the time I was so upset but now that I look back I realize they kept me from spending weeks worrying and days of being sick. They really were just trying to help me, not be mean and underhanded. Once I got old enough that they couldn't pull that I stopped going and ended up where I am now!

There's a very good chance that you are stressing about nothing but don't you sometimes wish you could just get there without all the worry about actually going? If you are going to be upset about it without even knowing you really need to try to ask her. Don't put yourself through a bunch of agony for nothing!! :) I have an appointment tomorrow and I'm going back and forth between calm and nervous but I know once it's over I'm going to wonder why I made myself so crazy over it. Don't let yourself get like that.....just ask and if she has, decide if you want to go through with it.

You're going to be o.k.!!!! Take a deep breath and ask her.
:grouphug:
Pam

I've been sick coz i'm panicking so bad :cry::cry:

I can't ask her. :cry::cry:

OMG WHAT IF SHE SAYS SHE HAS MADE AN APPOINTMENT ?!!!!! :scared::scared:

Also i was at work till 1.30pm,so she could have booked over the phone then :(

I'm feeling like i'm gonna be sick again :shame: :shame:

I CAN'T DO THIS and PANICING LIKE MAD

Don't panic Issy..I'm sure she didn't go there to book you an appointment. There would be no need for her to go in person, right? If the word she was going to use was dentist, she probably has an appointment herself and she didn't want to stress you out by telling you. It's also quite possible that the word was a different DE word. I know the feeling you are having because I felt like that many times when I was not in control of my appointment making. I also did the thing where I erased phone messages, failed to pass on messages and hid appointment cards that Taking Flight did. The main thing is, that you probably don't have anything to worry about. And if, by chance, she did make you an appointment it is always up to you to decide if you are able to cope at that time. No one can force you to go if you absolutely aren't ready. But, if you could get through...wouldn't it be great to have it over with?!

lilone said:
Don't panic Issy..I'm sure she didn't go there to book you an appointment. There would be no need for her to go in person, right? If the word she was going to use was dentist, she probably has an appointment herself and she didn't want to stress you out by telling you. It's also quite possible that the word was a different DE word. I know the feeling you are having because I felt like that many times when I was not in control of my appointment making. I also did the thing where I erased phone messages, failed to pass on messages and hid appointment cards that Taking Flight did. The main thing is, that you probably don't have anything to worry about. And if, by chance, she did make you an appointment it is always up to you to decide if you are able to cope at that time. No one can force you to go if you absolutely aren't ready. But, if you could get through...wouldn't it be great to have it over with?!

Over with ?!! Unfortunatley i'm gonna need loads of work done. And i mean LOADS !!

There's no way i'm letting anyone see into my mouth :shame: :cry::scared:
My Gum's are to badly inflamed to allow anyone to see them :shame: :cry:

I know that this is what people always say, but it's true that no matter how bad you think your teeth are, the dentist has always seen way worse. (S)he does this all day - every day, so don't be ashamed. If your gums are really inflamed and you are doing everything you can right now (flossing and brushing well) then they (your gums, that is) really need someone to take away the tarter that is irritating them and then they will get better. If you are embarrassed of what the dentist will see, you can always choose to go somewhere else after the cleaning. That way your gums will have healed up a bit and the new dentist might never know you had any trouble with them or felt ashamed.

Sorry if I can't be of much help, but just know that we are here for you.

lilone said:
I know that this is what people always say, but it's true that no matter how bad you think your teeth are, the dentist has always seen way worse. (S)he does this all day - every day, so don't be ashamed. If your gums are really inflamed and you are doing everything you can right now (flossing and brushing well) then they (your gums, that is) really need someone to take away the tarter that is irritating them and then they will get better. If you are embarrassed of what the dentist will see, you can always choose to go somewhere else after the cleaning. That way your gums will have healed up a bit and the new dentist might never know you had any trouble with them or felt ashamed.

Sorry if I can't be of much help, but just know that we are here for you.

I do have Tarter. I brush properley, but behind my back teeth is where ( i think ) i have the most Tarter.

Also i kmow i'll have to see a Hygenist and PETRIFIED i'll need a Deep Clean :scared:

Just feeling so scared about it all. I know having my teeth cleaned and the tarter removed will help my gums - But it will be agony.

And i'm too ashamed to ever let a Dentist see my Gums :shame: :shame:

As for tarter removal, try to find a dentist who use the water spray instead of the scraper. The water spray is just as effective and many places use it. I haven't had the experience yet, but I'm sure many people on here have... maybe someone can share.

I know you don't want to hear this - but you should ask. But if you don't want to ask HER you might try to call the dentist and ask where is your appointment and if they say you have no appointment you'll say it's your mistake and hang up:) If I were you I would definitely want to find you if I have the appointment or not...

:thumbsup:

Dana said:
I know you don't want to hear this - but you should ask. But if you don't want to ask HER you might try to call the dentist and ask where is your appointment and if they say you have no appointment you'll say it's your mistake and hang up:) If I were you I would definitely want to find you if I have the appointment or not...

:thumbsup:

I wish there was a way of finding out if i had an appointment on-line. I would find that much easier and less daunting to do !

If i do find out i have an appointment, i won't be able to cope at all :shame: And will cancel it - coz i'll be to teriffied to go :shame:

Been sick 5 times coz i'm in such a state about it :cry::cry::cry:

How long was your mom gone for? Just long enough to get petrol? I have a sneaking feeling that she was actually going to get petrol and the "de..." part was just a regular slip. Maybe she started to say "I'm going to the department store" or anything like that, but corrected herself. I often go to call my sister Anna and start off saying "hey da, mo....er Anna!". Sometimes the word you want doesn't come out right away.

lilone said:
How long was your mom gone for? Just long enough to get petrol? I have a sneaking feeling that she was actually going to get petrol and the "de..." part was just a regular slip. Maybe she started to say "I'm going to the department store" or anything like that, but corrected herself. I often go to call my sister Anna and start off saying "hey da, mo....er Anna!". Sometimes the word you want doesn't come out right away.

She was gone for about 40mins. And it certainely doesn't take that long to get money from the Petrol Station. When she changed her sentence she did say, ' To get money'

I may very well be paranoid about all this. It isn't written in the main Family Diary, but she proably wouldn't write it in anyway :(

I'm driving myself crazy and know that i should just ask her. Most people would,but i can't bring myself too.
Instead i'm annoying all you lot with it. So sorry about all this, but i'm finding it helpful to get it off my chest.

I even purposely make sure i'm in the same room, just so she can tell me. :cry:

Here's a group hug. I hope things turn out ok! :grouphug:

My gums are inflammed, red, and I finally made it to the dentist. Trust me, I was embarassed to have anyone look in there, but think how much worse it'll get if you keep waiting. I know you probably don't want to hear this, but the longer you put it off the worse it may be. As it is before I went I thought I would have to have root canals, bridges, dentures, the works (hadn't been for 15 years). Having gone I was told that I DO have gum problems which I'll need deep cleanings for. I was told that you can get numbed for that so if you DO need that done you won't feel a thing! And it's best if you go now as opposed to waiting and having the problems get much worse. I think it's important to do as much as you can to make sure you can save your natural teeth. :thumbsup: You can do it! The worst part really is all the anticipation!

fromyesterday said:
My gums are inflammed, red, and I finally made it to the dentist. Trust me, I was embarassed to have anyone look in there, but think how much worse it'll get if you keep waiting. I know you probably don't want to hear this, but the longer you put it off the worse it may be. As it is before I went I thought I would have to have root canals, bridges, dentures, the works (hadn't been for 15 years). Having gone I was told that I DO have gum problems which I'll need deep cleanings for. I was told that you can get numbed for that so if you DO need that done you won't feel a thing! And it's best if you go now as opposed to waiting and having the problems get much worse. I think it's important to do as much as you can to make sure you can save your natural teeth. :thumbsup: You can do it! The worst part really is all the anticipation!

I know all the above is true and i do wanna keep all my Teeth. I'm only 22.
And i know that putting it off will only make things worse for when i do eventually go

But i really can't go through with an appointment. I wish i could just go and get seen, but i really can't :shame: :cry:

The idea of a Deep Clean completely petrifies me and having a sharp pointy object poking my Gums is horrd :scared:

Dear Issy, I am a dentist and just found this forum. I have worked with hundreds of dental fear patients for the last 13 years. I totally understand what you are going through. I assure you that Dentistry can be fun and anxiety free. You just have to find the right dentist. I suggest you to get to know a little more about the dentist you will see. Make sure that he/she recognizes your fear. Just ask to see whether you can use your first appointment to get to know the dentist and the practice only without having he/she looked in your mouth. Only after you feel comfortable with the office and the dentist then go on with the exam on the next appointment. Many dentists do very safe conscious sedation nowadays. The appointments will be so comfortable, you would not remember a thing. A lot of work can be done in one appointment with sedation. Looking forward for the positive result: You can have a healthy mouth very soon, will never have to feel ashamed to your teeth any longer. I wish you live in Texas, USA, I can help you.

Best of luck.

does your dentist have e-mail? You could write and ask... :thumbsup: it's much more easier than phoning - I don't phoning, too

Still no sign of that appointment :(
I have noticed that she's put 'i' in the diary for tomorrow afternoon. Not sure what to make of that :(

Tomorrow i'm gonna stay away from home all day - just incase i have an appointment !
feel very silly and pathetic doing this aged 22 :shame:

But i also know i need to see a Dentist and this thought is constantly on my mind. and stessing me out. and a miniscule part of me kinda want's to go. Coz the longer i wait the worse everything will get :scared: I've put it of for about 8 years and really wanna get everything over and done with. Desperate to have a nice healthy smile again

Argh i'm going crazy over this and it's burning me out. Got No sleep last night,was worrying and panicking all night :cry:

I really hate how this fear had ruined and overtaken my life and i really wish i could live without this MASSIVE fear.

Just an "I" in the diary is a little cryptic for sure.
Is there any way that you would be able to take something to sedate you so that you could manage to get through an appointment. If your mom was with you, it wouldn't matter if you were pretty much out of it.

It's important to remember three things- all of which you already know, of course, but I find it helps me to repeat it like a mantra.
1. No one can make you go if you are not ready and you have a right to leave whenever you want if you do go and are uncomfortable.
2. If your mom makes you an appointment (or made) without telling you, it's because she cares and doesn't want you to stress.
3. Putting it off never makes things better and problems don't go away on their own. You will need to go at some point but it's up to you to decide when.

I hope you start feeling better soon. I know lack of sleep tends to make things feel even worse. Hopefully you'll be so tuckered out tonight that you'll get some rest...

aww Issy, :XXLhug: I'm soo soo sorry for the stress you are going through with this. I sorta know how you feel, I kept cancelling out of filling appts a couple years ago so my Mum went and made a "secret" appt behind my back and when the time came she acted like she just "forgot" to tell me she rescheduled for me. I didn't know what hit me! I could have killed her!!!! :scared: :(

Funny thing is I did end up going and surviving through it ok, thanks to the fantastic dentist that I have now (as I didn't know her at the time) I was totally petrified of her but she really wasn't that bad once I gave her a chance, in fact the best I have ever had and I wouldn't trade her for another one now :). It was nice not having the anticipatory anxiety before the appt and sorta lightened the blow (not saying I'd do it again tho! :p) , I'd never admit this to her, but it did me some good! I would have never went otherwise, I just need that extra nudge forward and once I did it I wondered what I was so terrified of, now I don't have too bad of a problem going (although that could be cause I fear her making anymore secret appts :rolleyes:)...the hard thing with your situation is the anticipatory anxiety is already there...I'm still paranoid about my Mum doing that again and keep a short leash on her when it comes to those things but the "I" in the diary is a little suspicious...I hope everything turns out well for you, whatever it may be! :thumbsup:

Back