• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

thinking dentist is ripping me off

C

Chaosdeal

since the beginning of this year i went back to the dentist needing 3 root canals , 1 filling and 1 extraction/ maybe root canal

i did so far 1 root canal and 1 filling , i wanted to book te next root canal after that filling , but because my gum was bleeding during the cavity the dentist DEMANDS a deep cleaning scaling costing 500 EUROS!!! that what you need if you have peridontits/ gum disease, i was schoked off it because the hyginist (the hyginist is indipendent from my dentist) never talked about it i go there every 3 months so she would have noticed it if my gums were so bad . as it was 4 months ago i went to the hyginist it was time for the appointment there and when i get there to day i asked for her opinion she said there were only some mild gingivitits and on some teeth a lot of tartar and in needed a normal cleaning took 30 minuts i paid the office 78 euros for it. she said see you in 4 1/2 months because your oral hygine is improved every 3 months is no longer needed. so i dont trust the dentist anymore he demand things and said the gums are bad when the hygninist say its only getting better.

i feel a bit depressed of it ,again seeking a new dentist , my counsler reffred me to a dentist that she know for 30 years now gonna book a appointment there next month

Hi there,

I think it‘s a good idea to get a second opinion. While there are a lot of good dentists out there surely there are some where getting a second opinion is a good choice... deep cleaning because of a bleeding gum sounds strange...

Hope you will be happier with the new dentist, keep us posted

I was in a similar situation. I changed dentists and none of the treatments that the dentist at the time said were required were needed and my current dentist did an xray and did a thorough examination of my teeth. The previous dentist also wanted to do three fillings not on the NHS so I would have to pay through the nose for them. I said I am NOT a private patient and I do not care if the fillings are not white ones and I was told.... "You need the white ones because they last longer". :cry:. I have an amalgam filling which was done when I was 30. I am now 55 and the filling is still as good as it was when it was done. I think some dentist take the mickey

Back