• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

This Might be a stupid question but.......

C

cnhand84

So I've been having some teeth issues. and Ive gotten a few different opinions so far (today I go to ENT).

I just wondered. if a tooth doesn't feel cold, say you put an ice cube on it and it doesn't really feel it, does this mean its got an issue, or can normal teeth just not feel cold either??? A tooth thats been sore, they thought it was maybe from hitting the tooth underneath it harder, (had a tooth pulled 2 months ago, so my bite changed). And ive had xrays also (normal). I got it trimmed down on Tuesday and I know it may take a little bit of time for the soreness to get better if its bruised. I also feel like this isn't the only tooth that I have that doesn't feel it.

So wondering, how much time does it usually take if it is just bruised to get better with a bite adjustment?

And, can a tooth just not feel cold and be normal? Ive used ice out of the freezer (not endo ice). And if a tooth is cold sensitive but it goes away within like 10 seconds of taking the ice off the tooth, is that normal also? hoping someone can shed some light. sorry for the dumb questions. lol

;)

Hi there,

this is not a stupid question at all.

A healthy tooth should always feel the cold, however slightly, as there are nerves in it. This cold should vanish quite quickly, so what you describe with 10 seconds sounds normal.

The cold test the dentist can do is a bit more accurate than your own test with ice cube as they can apply it more precisely on a particular spot on the tooth and they use a cold spray that has a particular temperature.

Hope someone experienced can give you an answer about the soreness..

I do think the premolar tooth feels cold just not very much... (this is the one thats been sore) (and goes away quickly) I was thinking it didn't feel it at all, but just tested it again. i did feel it, just wasn't rally painful.

The molar also feels cold more intensely but disappears as soon as the ice is taken off. This filling is a deeper one if that matters. It isn't really cold sensitive to just drinking stuff. But an ice cube it is more sensitive too. And its hard to really get the ice cube on there right, plus it melts so fast in ur hand! LOL LOL

I go to ENT today for those who have read my few posts. LOL.

Hi there,

this is not a stupid question at all :)

A healthy tooth should always feel the cold, however slightly, as there are nerves in it. This cold should not be painful and should vanish quite quickly, so what you describe with 10 seconds sounds normal.

The cold test the dentist can do is a bit more accurate than your own test with ice cube as they can apply it more precisely on a particular spot on the tooth and they use a cold spray that has a particular temperature.

Hope someone experienced can give you an answer about the soreness..

Back