• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Thought I was beating it :(

A

Antlx

Hi, new here, please be gentle with me.

I have had dental phobia since I was 16 (now 43) and in the intervening years had only visited a dentist twice until recently. Both times were because of severe pain and I eventually had fillings under IV sedation.

Last year I was again forced into the chair when pain got so severe that I couldn't eat and was starting to lose weight, but with a lot of support from family and friends, combined with meditation sessions and a nice dentist, I again managed to have a filling done - this time with no sedation! :cheers:

Monday this week I went for a check-up. I was so proud of myself because I actually managed to go alone, despite throwing up before leaving the house and shaking pretty badly all the way there. I told the dentist I was grinding and clenching at night, causing constant daytime headaches/migraines, so he suggested a mouth guard for sleeping with. Next thing I knew he was doing the impressions there and then.

It was awful. A lot of gagging followed, and I ended up having a full blown panic attack even though the procedure was very quick. But I did it and I came home thinking I had finally beaten this and that things could only get better. Mouth guard to follow in 3 weeks, onwards and upwards.

BUT

they have just phoned to say the impressions are no good and that I have to have them done again. All of my resolve and hard work has flown out of the window just because of a stupid phone call. I am barely able to see the screen as I type this, because I am crying so much. I want the floor to open up and swallow me.

I feel so stupid telling a bunch of total strangers about it, but I just need to get it out, to try to let these feelings go so that I can try to beat my demons again. Right now I can't ever picture myself visiting a dentist again, yet 2 days ago I was on top of the world about it.

And my head hurts from crying but I can't stop. :cry:

Sorry I've rambled, but thanks for listening if you've got this far.

x

Just think as the first time as a practice run, and you can do it all over again. I certainly understand what it takes to even go into a dentist office after so long. You can get through anything you set your mind to. You have the support of this complete stranger, and most likely many others here as well. Keep on trying ,and you will succeed.
Best of luck, and let us know how you do.
<KZ>

So sorry to hear of your bad phone call. :XXLhug:

It sounds to me like everything just snowballed out of your control at the last visit. For me not being in control was a big part of my phobia. You did a huge thing by going for a check-up, thats a great positive thing to do, but just a short comment you made about clenching/grinding had the dentist rushing you to take impressions to make a guard, putting you out of control.

If you had been given more time to take in the option of having a guard made then you may not have reacted so badly to the impressions. Remember the guard is only an option, you have a choice to have it or not. Don't put pressure on yourself that you must have it because someone you hold in authority says you must have it. I do think that a lot of my damage has been done by night-time clenching though and would probably try a guard for a while, even though I don't like the thought of having something in my mouth all night.

If you want the guard then you will need to have more impressions taken, but I would urge you to ask the dentist to go a bit slower next time. I find that if I'm given a few minutes to calm myself down before we start anything new I'm able to deal with it much easier.

Once again, you did brilliantly going for a check-up instead of waiting until pain pushed you there, that is really excellent and something to be proud of.:respect:

Thank you both for taking the time to reply and your words of encouragement.

Robotguy, I think you are right about the rush and being out of control. At the time I thought it was probably for the best, I didn't have time to get wound up about the idea and it was over and done with quickly. The feeling of achievement afterwards (once the panic attack subsided!) was great but maybe I need to go back to taking baby steps instead of trying to run too fast.

I'm very lucky that my teeth aren't actually too bad considering all the years of missed visits, I'd like them to stay that way so I can't let a stupid mouth guard stop me from moving on. I just don't know when, or if, I'll pluck up the courage to book that next appt. :(

Thanks again x

I do empathise.
6 months ago I could not even phone the dentist. I had steeled myself to accept that I needed treatment.
But it took a long long time to make that appointment. I couldn't walk in the door; I couldn't phone!
I eventually made the appt by email....
I had my treatment, but like you I was dreadfully upset at the thought of going into a dentist!
..but I did..

So, you are not alone with your fear... and we will support you all the way ...:)

Hi

It takes courage to admit fear and more to face it. Be proud of yourself for taking this step. Dental fear is very common. 30-50 million people in the USA have it to the degree they will never seek treatment. You are way ahead of the curve because you decided to do this and take action, well done!.

Anxiety is like a monster and its favorite food is avoidance. The more you feed it the stronger it gets.

It is helpful to figure out what it is you fear. Since you have had impressions and survived you know, intellectually that having this done is safe and not painful.

However, the monster, being hungry for a good meal, is telling you something different. It conjures up pictures of what may or might happen but has not happened.

The idea is to ask what do I believe will happen. Then, is this a possibility, if so what are the odds. For example, You may fear that if you go into an elevator it will crash or get stuck. The odds are very low, almost non-existent.

The next question to ask is, Can I handle the outcome? This method seeks to disarm the fear by breaking it down.

If the fear is very powerful you can ask the dentist for a small dose of an anti-anxiety medication to take the edge off before the appointment. The key is to keep moving forward. Avoiding the problem will not make it better. The longer you wait, the harder it gets.

You can do this by attacking the problem and refusing to let have fear have the last word. You are more than the sum of your fears, believe in yourself and refuse to give up. You can do this, there are many options.

Blessings :)

Back