• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

three days to go

harper

harper

hiya
well ive got 3 days to go and im now worrying. im not well at the moment and feel sick a lot and im frightened im gonna be ill when i sit back :scared: going to have 2 crown preps so im gonna be there a while. also worrying cos the last time i was sedated so dont know what to expect :scared: :cry:

Hi Harper. I have had many crowns, all using only local. I never felt a thing. The crown preps are really not much different than having a filling, as far as what you feel and hear. You should not feel anything after the local anesthetic is given. If you do, raise your hand and tell your dentist to give you more anesthesia. I find it easiest to keep my eyes closed when I am having a crown prep, but that is an individual thing. Please ask if you have any questions. I will be around today and tomorrow, but on Tuesday I have oral surgery so I won't be able to help you then.

Hi Harper:

My name is Melody and I got two crowns several months ago. they took a mold of my mouth and (at my dentist's office they use something called the Wand, they don't use needles at all).

so they numbed me up and i honestly didn't feel one thing. It's like getting a cavity done. They do what they do, they make you bite down. they put in the temorary crowns, they make you bite down several times so both sides of your mouth are even.

And i walked out with two temporary crowns that looked like actual teeth.
Two weeks later, i was back, they numbed me up to remove the temporarys and they put the permanent ones in. They have to clean around the cement, and use floss to make sure there is nothing stuck between the teeth.

I hope you have a good relationship with your dentist. And that you can speak to him about being afraid.

If you have some anti-anxiety meds in your home, maybe you can take a tiny amount, just to take the edge off while you are in the chair.

This is what I did. I was a wreck. I was on half a xanax during a cleaning (not knowing what to expect) and I remember looking up at the hygienist saying "and this is me on half a xanax, I should have taken two of them). She burst out laughing and we both had a good laugh.

She did not hurt me.

It's all about the anticipation, expecially when you are a phobic. I've been one for years and years. Probably always will be.

I wish you much success with your brand new teeth.

Be well

Melody

hi melodyl and kitty
thanks for you kind words.
i have the best relationship with c he really is a superstar,i know people have heard it before but i COULDNT HAVE GOT THIS FAR WITHOUT HIM :cloud9: im lucky because i never have to worry although i do about him hurting me as he asks me at least every five mins if im ok and has said(which ill never forget) ill never hurt you. when i had my top rct he kept asking me if i was ok i didnt answer so he lifted the glassess and said oh yeah your ok! i supose its fear of the unknown im not really scared of the pain,people and different surroundings frighten me :shame: knowing that this time will be different because i wont be sedated is far more scarey than the actual procedure.also because the doctor suspects i may have gallstones i feel very nausious at the moment and i know i feel sick on the day iam very worried that in the middle of the treatment ill feel sick :cry:

I had gallstones 6 years ago. I broke the record for the size of my gallstones.
The two biggest ones fit inside the chinese soup container (the take out kind).
Doctor said he never saw such a thing in his life. the other ones were much smaller.

suffered no ill effects after I had my gallbladder out.

But we are here to talk about your teeth and not my gallbladder.

I wish you well hon.

Take care,
Melody

Hi M...make sure you let C know that you have been having problems with the nausea. That way he will be fully aware of any problems you may have during the crown prep. I am sure he will be able to help you get through the prep just fine. ;)

hi t
i hope so im so worried about it.
i hope i can get the words out :scared:

Why not write down what you want to say. I can never manage to remember the words I want to say, so I always look at what I wrote down before I see him. Others have just given thier dentist the paper. Do whatever you feel comfortable with.

Don't worry about talking to C, I am sure you will do fine. Remember, you were able to talk to him about how uncomfortable you were at the new office. He wasn't offended and he made it so you could be his last appointment...to make you more comfortable. So I am sure he will been happy to do anything to make this appointment more comfortable for you, even giving you a break if you will nauseous ;)

From everything you've told us about C, as freakout has said, I'm sure you'll do fine. It's much better that he knows what the situation is, especially with your health, so that he can provide you with the best treatment :). I'm sure he would much rather that you told him instead of you feeling sick, saying nothing and feeling even worse. If you find it difficult to talk and you think writing it down might help, you could just hand him a short note when you get there :).

I know it's easier said than done, but try not to worry too far ahead about your suspected gallstones. It might not turn out as bad as you think - you need to wait and see what your doctor says. Even if it is, you'll be surprised at how quickly things can be sorted out these days. My mum had gallstones a couple of years ago (well, more like gall grit as it had all gone really manky and horrible! :sick: ). She had her gallbladder removed via keyhole surgery so all she had were 3 tiny holes in her stomach (including one through her belly button so you can't see it anyway). She had her operation at about 5pm and was home by lunchtime the next day - back to her usual nagging self! :devilish:

Hi Harper
Best of luck for tomorrow :XXLhug:
Brit

Hi M...I just wanted to wish you luck tomarrow :XXLhug: I will be thinking of you. I know you will do just fine ;)

Harper:

:grouphug:

I send you my best and all hugs. You'll be fine.

Keep us informed okay?

Love, Melody

thanks everyone [smiley=hugging.gif
sorry didnt reply sooner went to bed at 8 last night as my tummy was really hurting and my damn rct tooth is killing me :cry: im ok at the mo usually feel awful about 2hrs before but im trying really really hard not to worry because my poor tummy is hurting already. :cry:

Hi M...sorry to hear your tummy is giving you such trouble. I know when your tummy hurts, your whole body hurts, as if the tooth isn't bad enough :( I am sure everything will go just fine today. Make sure to tell C about the tummy trouble though. Who knows, sometimes nerves and mouth pain can do a real number on your stomach (especially if it's already irritated), with any luck maybe that will settle down somewhat after your appointment :thumbsup:

Keep us posted and good luck

Good luck for your appointment today :thumbsup:.

Make sure you tell C what's going on with your health as I'm sure he wouldn't want you sitting there feeling ill, especially if there was something he could do to make things a bit easier for you.

:grouphug:

hi everyone
off in ten minutes :scared: will let you know how it goes thanks guys :hug2:

GOOD LUCK....... hope it goes well for you x

hi
im back and my does it hurt :sick: c asked me how i was and then said honestly so i told him everything including about my job. c was lovely to me and i got complimented on how id been looking after them. i had the two crown preps done and although there was a lot of drilling considering last time i was sedated and this time i wasnt it wasnt so bad. ive also had my rct tooth taken out of bite but it looks like ill have to have it re done :( all in all it wasnt so bad thanks for the support everyone.
ps brit,i got TWO hugs :cloud9:

Hi M...so glad everything went so well. Hopefully your tummy will settle down now too. Get some rest :XXLhug:

hi t
it hurts :cry:
how are you today? it went well yesterday it didnt really hurt although the drilling went on forever,c did tell me there would be a lot of drilling. i think the worst bit was there was loads of water and i was desperate to cough! i even managed to say it didnt feel very numb when he asked,c always asks me before he starts. looks like im going to have to have my bottom rct re done but hey not going to worry about that ...yet! almost seems a shame to have the real crowns when they are made as the temp ones as c put it are masterpeices ;D hope your ok? something really nice happened to me when i was there and i left in tears,happy ones though will pm you :XXLhug:

Back