• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Thursday is the day ......Terrified !!!!

4boyzmom

So I have been trying to get these bad teeth out for almost a year . Tried the whole concious sedation thing and I flipped out in the chair , my anxiety and fear is terrible . Finally after working with the surgeon , insurance etc my appt is scheduled for this Thursday at a surgery center under general anesthesia for a full mouth extraction . I am scared to death . Shaking and crying already . Im scared of the breathing tube and not waking up and the pain after . Has anyone had this done ? I would love to hear about it . Thanks for listening !!

Hi...I just wanted to say, I haven't had this done myself BUT just talked to a friend of mine the other day who did have that done....she also had a breathing apparatus but she had absolutely no memory of ANY of it under GA, and they are very very careful!!
You WILL wake up, and they will stay with you, they absolutely will make sure you are OK. My friend said she was a bit "silly" afterwards, just a bit goofy from the GA (in a pleasant way) but when it wore off later, she said she was so grateful she didn't remember any of the procedure, and you won't either! She said the worst part was what you are going through, the fear beforehand. So if that's the worst part, just think, you CAN get through this because you won't even remember any of the rest of it!! :)
She said she slept for a while when she got home, then even though she had pain, it was manageable with a combination of ibuprofen and Tylenol, they gave her prescription painkillers (I can't remember which one) and she said she only had to take them twice, over a period of days. Healing takes time of course, but she healed, and you will too!
You WILL be okay, and it will be over and done with before you know it!! :) And, the relief of having this behind you is going to be such a good feeling!
Be gentle with yourself and take good care of yourself afterwards, be kind to that part of you that has been so traumatized, give it lots of love! :)
Literally....wrap both arms around your shoulders so that your hands are resting on your shoulders, and tap each shoulder left-right-left-right, gently and slowly, and BREATHE. In through nose, out through mouth, and just do that until you feel a bit calmer. It is called "butterfly hug" and it helps, therapists who do "tapping" use this one a lot :)

Hello I'm new to this site, but I am await my appointment for a full month extraction and just wondered if anyone can give me advice on the healing process as I'm told I'll have no teeth till my mouth heals this is petrified me

Hello I'm new to this site, but I am await my appointment for a full month extraction and just wondered if anyone can give me advice on the healing process as I'm told I'll have no teeth till my mouth heals this is petrified me
Hi there . I totally understand . I put this off so way longer than I should have due to fear . Last Thursday I finally did it . I t was done at a surgical center under general anesthesia . I felt nothing and remembered nothing . The pain was not as bad as I expected and Im a big baby lol. I have no teeth now either and for me this is the hardest part . It feels weird , I cant talk right but I know this is part of the process to have a beautiful smile and never having tooth pain again . Just remember its only temporary .

Hi there . I totally understand . I put this off so way longer than I should have due to fear . Last Thursday I finally did it . I t was done at a surgical center under general anesthesia . I felt nothing and remembered nothing . The pain was not as bad as I expected and Im a big baby lol. I have no teeth now either and for me this is the hardest part . It feels weird , I cant talk right but I know this is part of the process to have a beautiful smile and never having tooth pain again . Just remember its only temporary .
I'm glad your feeling ok, yes having no teeth and not being able to talk and eat etc is a worry, I only had my consultation at the hospital yesterday and was told it could be a 3-6month wait I'm hoping not as my mouth gets sore sometimes and some teeth wobbly so sooner the better, thanks for your reply I'll keep looking to see how you get on good luck x

I'm glad your feeling ok, yes having no teeth and not being able to talk and eat etc is a worry, I only had my consultation at the hospital yesterday and was told it could be a 3-6month wait I'm hoping not as my mouth gets sore sometimes and some teeth wobbly so sooner the better, thanks for your reply I'll keep looking to see how you get on good luck x
I was told the same thing 3-6 months ugghh . I will keep you posted and please keep me posted

I was told the same thing 3-6 months ugghh . I will keep you posted and please keep me posted
Yes I will do and thankyou having someone to talk to who's going or will have gone threw the same is helpfully as I stress out at the slightest things haha this has totally threw me

Please keep us updated, okay? I hope everything will be okay. I am going to have IV sedation again after 17 years and I'm also terrified so we're in a similar boat.

(Oops, I see that you got this done in April, my mistake!)

Last edited:
Please keep us updated, okay? I hope everything will be okay. I am going to have IV sedation again after 17 years and I'm also terrified so we're in a similar boat.
I cant believe I actually did it !! You will be fine I can say this now and really believe it . Im healing , still swollen , no more pain !! Best of luck . Thank you for caring . Please keep us posted how it goes

I cant believe I actually did it !! You will be fine I can say this now and really believe it . Im healing , still swollen , no more pain !! Best of luck . Thank you for caring . Please keep us posted how it goes
I actually got this done a week ago . I went in for iv sedation in April and even under sedation I fought them and couldnt do it so I had to go to the hospital and go under general anesthesia to have it done

HI sorry it's been a while, I couldnt find the site again, anyways I hope you are healed by now I'm off tomorrow for my full mouth extraction and I'm a nerves wreck, original time was 12pm tuesday 12th oct, I had a call today to say they may be able to get me in early as I'm very nervous so after tonight I cannot eat or drink only sip water in the morning and wait the call to go in I'll let yous know how I get on maybe on a few days as not sure I'll be feeling to great tomorrow

How did your extractions go? Hopefully you are recovered by now.

Hi all well it's been two weeks now and I must say the pain is not as bad as I thought, I was a bit out of it on the day and face was bruised and swollen, with no teeth it's hard to talk and be understood especially with an accent haha, and I'm already sick of mushy food but overall I'm glad it's done now and now I just have to get my gums better to have my mold made for implant

How are you now? I got my teeth a week ago and I'm struggling tbh carnt eat struggling to keep the bottom in with fixodent extra ha, anymore advice for me please x

It is a very slow process I guess. Yes got my dentures sept 15 so 3 months ago. Still cannot eat with the bottom I. I very seldom even wear the bottoms. I know I need a reline but with the holidays etc have not done that yet. But I do think I am always going to have problems with the bottom. Top is fine.