• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Time to face the truth!

Hey!

Thank you for dropping by my journal. :)

Please keep us updated on your appointment on Thursday. I hope that he addresses your gums.

Thanks from Yesterday. Will do. Hopefully I can get him to address the problem as I really don't want to have to change dentists.

I'm quite lucky I've caught it when I have I think, I find that paranoia sets in with it though, as I don't know all the facts on it I tend to swing from feeling really positive to thinking the worst and panicking that as he seems to be ignoring it it could be worse than he is leading me to believe.

Anyway, I will do my best to stay positive and I hope everything goes well for you too.

I'll keep an eye on your journal.

You could try asking him to clean them 'privately' for you and you'll have the rest of your care NHS. If it's uncomfortable or painful, get numbed up. It is NOT really possible to do a proper clean within the NHS check up slot, it is too short.

That's a good idea, I'm not sure if they do private but I guess I'll find out on Thursday o_O

Yes, staying positive is very important! I know it can be difficult sometimes, but the alternative feels so crappy.

I'm crossing my fingers for you that he hasn't addressed it because he thinks it's something that is easily manageable and can get taken care of quickly!

I'm crossing my fingers for you that he hasn't addressed it because he thinks it's something that is easily manageable and can get taken care of quickly![/QUOTE said:
Thanks Let's hope so.

Dentist Day! :hidesbehindsofa: The fear came back with a vengeance (of course).

I got there this morning and I was the first appointment of the day so had to wait outside til they opened which was joyous. I actually asked at the start about the gum disease and (thankfully) he said that once he has finished all the work, he will 'give my teeth a good clean' and I'll have to go back every three months but that should be sufficient. We then went through the rest of the work to do in my mouth. Today I was having a filling on the lower right and a tooth extracted on the top left. I still have loads of fillings to be done and it turns out that I'm also gonna have to have my top two Wisdom teeth extracted as well so that'll be five teeth out in total, but they are at least all at the back so quite lucky in that respect. Although it has hit me today just how long a process this is going to be. I don't now why that's only just occured to me but I think I've been concentrating on one step at a time so much that today's the first time I've really stopped to think about the whole picture.

So the filling today went fine, the dentist was his usual supportive self throughout the whole thing, then came the extraction and of course the worst happened the tooth didn't seem to want to come out and then one of the roots snapped off and got stuck in my mouth. A half hour appointment turned into an hour and eventually (after much panicking from me and pretty much every maths timetable I could think of, along with the entire ceiling being fully inspected) it finally came out. :censored: Don't get me wrong the dentist's pain management and support are excellent but still not the most pleasant procedure ever.

Managed to drive home (with difficulty) and unsuprisingly it took a long time to stop bleeding but I'm now at home, in pain and quite down about the whole thing (although I don't plan on changing dentists now I know he's looking at everything).

I'm taking painkillers but the pain is kicking in with a vengeance, still I have a fabulous partner here fussing and about to feed me some nice slop were gonna pretend is food and I didn't jump out of the chair (although I thought about it) and I am gonna go back (although I've given myself three weeks before the next appointment) so I suppose it's a result.

Way to go!!!!

I'm so sorry you're in pain, but it'll be over soon! I think giving yourself a break is a great idea.

Glad he finally addressed your gums!

I'm sorry about the tooth, but you did amazing for sticking through it. I'm sorry you're feeling down, but know you did a very brave thing by taking care of yourself. I know how daunting it is to think about all the work, but that's why we're here. <3

You take care of yourself and I hope the pain goes away very soon.

Well done you!!!!!
sending you big:grouphug:
sandy x

You did GREAT!!! Be very, very proud of yourself! The extraction pain will be gone soon...just be kind to it with gentle saline rinses, soft food and whatever pain meds you need. In a few days, you'll be so amazed at how much better you feel. Keep up the good work..I'm so, so happy for you!!!!

Thank you so much for the support all.

The swellings going down slowly but surely and the pains still there but not quite as bad as it was, getting there!

I'm glad you're better. :) I hope the pain goes away completely asap!

Ok. So it's been a while since the extraction and I still can't bite down properly on the back tooth (wisdom tooth that is now on it's own). Figured out why today, the tooth isd now falling out. I can wobble it completely and it's dropped down. I know the tooth is being extracted anyway but completely freaking out now as the extraction reason was decay not gum, disease.
Should I be worried? Gone right back to the does this mean all my teeth are gonna fall out mode or is it just cos it's alone:o

I really have no idea, I'm sorry. Have you tried asking in the questions forum? I've always found it helpful!

Yeah, the tooth is being extracted anyway, I think I'm just panicking again. Back at the dentist next week anyway.

Hi Jo
Don't want to put you into more panic but I had that on one of my back molars....it was really loose and very painful to bite down on it I suffered a week with it, popping painkillers like smarties, infact i might have over done it on the painkillers cos i walked into closed door, Doh!! I just had enough of the pain!!! so my neighbour took me to my dentist and demanding i got seen now.....it turned out i had an infection in the gum surrounding the tooth, so the dentist extracted it there and then.....NO PAIN bliss!!!! I then turned to the dentist and and said with a mouthful of wadding "I could kiss you, the pains gone" he looked scared that i was about to pounce on him, he just replied "I'm just doing my job" in his french accent :):)
If it's really painful contact your dentist. Hope i haven't scared you even more!!
Sandy xx

You haven't and thank you. I'll be glad if it is that (as stupid as it sounds) as that tooth is going to be extracted anyway. Plus you never know it may make the extraction (wisdom tooth) less painful;)

Ok, so I went to the the dentist again yesterday and ended up having more work done than I thought, I had several fillings, teeth cleaning and wisdom tooth exctraction, painful and traumatic but I did it and guess what, I'm done! :jump:My dentist actually said the words see you in six months! :jump:

Of course my teeth still look really bad from a staining perspective and could probably do with a better clean than I received there but from an NHS perspective my mouth is now healthy (if not very / at all pretty). I will probably look at some private options, once I've recovered and geared myself up for joining another dentist but the main problems are dealt with. I'm so happy, if swollen and in pain :censored:, a little bit of an anti climax as my teeth don't look great but I will deal with that (once I've relaxed for a moment or five) and at least I know for the time being my mouth is healthy!

That's so great! *insert cheery face here* (I don't remember how to make it)

I hope the pain will lessen very soon. You must be so happy and you have great reason to be, yay!

That's great news that you don't have to see him until another 6 months :) i'm so pleased for you.
sending you a whoppa of a hug :XXLhug::XXLhug::XXLhug::XXLhug::XXLhug::XXLhug:
sandy x

Back