Tingling teeth, depression

A

amelli

I am starting to get very depressed over this. I have a tingling in my upper front teeth. It's not a pain, just a tingling, and it's not constant, but it seems to be worse in the evening. The most major work I've had on my mouth is fillings, and that was over a year ago. I was at the dentist three months ago and my teeth and gums were fine. I am due back for another cleaning in three more months.

But this tingling is making me so anxious and depressed. I have a phobia of dentists and it is very hard to be brave enough to go to these six month checkups/cleanings but I am determined to go because it does give me some peace of mind. I am wondering if i would look foolish for going back to the dentist after only three months.

I just worry about my teeth all the time. And it seems like this tingling gets worse when I'm stressed or agitated. And then I worry that I'm just imagining all of this and making it worse by worry.

I have started taking good care of my teeth (brushing 2-3 times a day for two minutes, and now I'm flossing daily too, which is something I've never done in my life) and knowing I'm taking care of my teeth helps give me peace of mind too.

And worst of all, I'm a smoker. I know if I could quit my mouth would become so much healthier, but I've had unsuccessful quitting attempts and it just makes me beat myself up more.

I just wish I didn't obsess so much :(

H

haeshin

Although it's with different teeth, I have the same problems you do. At this point I can't tell if I'm more scared of the dentist or tired of being scared. Right now my emotions are either swinging back and forth between the two or slamming them together because I'm fed up with dentist visits and tooth-related anxiety.

Angeldove

Angeldove

I'm actually dealing with this right now a bit with my right front tooth and the 2 teeth next to it. I think it's because I've been using it as a biting tooth while my extraction sites heal. I gave them a break (forced myself to eat normally) and used Sensodyne tooth paste to help. I think I might have bruised the teeth and that's why they feel funny. I also have gum disease so I get really freaked out if the teeth feel strange.

Give it a few days and see if it goes away. If not, definitely talk to a dentist so he can see how your teeth are doing.

T

takingflight

I'm sorry you are dealing with this and that it's causing you more anxiety. :( Your comment about it seeming to be worse when you are anxious may be accurate. Anxiety can cause us to have all kinds of twitches and feelings in our body and even to do strange things that we normally don't do. Perhaps you are grinding your teeth or touching them (unknowingly) constantly with your tongue which is contributing to the tingly feeling. I know that when I'm particularly stressed I will sometimes wake up to a couple of my back teeth tingling and I'm pretty sure that I'm clenching my jaw and/or grinding my teeth when I sleep.

I understand what you are going through as I've had many of the same worries. If you truly feel you would benefit from 3 (or 4) month cleanings and it would help to ease your mind don't be afraid to talk to your dentist. When I first started going back to the dentist they had me come every 4 months for two years. Even though I was nervous having to go more often, over time it helped ease my fears as my cleanings were quicker and there was no work to be done with me going more frequently.

I commend your efforts to stop smoking. :jump: Rather than beat yourself up about past failures, perhaps just continue to try to break or even lessen the habit. I'm sure if you continue with your excellent habits of brushing and flossing you'll be just fine. :)

Warm wishes,
Takingflight