• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

TMJ PAIN WHEN CHEWING AND TRISMUS AfTER BROKEN BRIDGE - HELP!!

L

Lori Rogers

I have 2 bridges on my bottom molar teeth, one on the left back side and one on the right. About 1 year ago the left bridge broke which left me chewing on the right side for about a year till I get the left side fixed. The problem is that I am now having pain on the left side (the side that is broken) ONLY when I bite on the right side (the side that is not broken). I do not have any pain when I'm just resting and just when I bite something hard. I also have some pain when I open my mouth wide and stick out my tongue. I am going to have my bridges fixed soon will this correct the situation and is this temporary? The pain started about 3 months ago. I will be getting my teeth corrected in a few days finally but afraid of permanent damage and lock jaw. Will the jaw and TMJ correct itself after getting the broken bridge fixed? What can be done to correct this situation if the new bridge and corrected bite does not help? What I'm being told is that the TMJ should be relieved once the broken bridge is corrected and the bite restored. Anyone else have this same situation and what did you do about it? I"m so afraid!!

Last edited:
I don't know if having your bridge fixed will fix your jaw problems but I have TMJ and my jaw is constantly painful caused by me clenching my teeth and grinding. My dentist made a guard for me to wear at night which can also be used through the day if I want to.

Have a word with your dentist if your problems don't clear up once the bridge is replaced and see if you might benefit from a guard.

thanks mate...I just got a night guard and will try it out ;)

Back