• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

To chicken out of appointment tomorrow?

T

TheTinyDancer

I'm due to get my lower 6 out tomorrow. This is a tooth that i had first stage of rct done about 2 months ago and had been sore since. Due to 1) not wanting to have further rct and 2) lack of appointments available due to covid I decided to get the tooth out.
Had appointment with oral surgeon a few weeks ago and she spoke about what it entailed. Since then my own dentist has made another referral to get LL8 out as had another episode of pericoronitis (3rd time in 6months). I've the choice to get both teeth out tomorrow or just the LL6. I'm extremely phobic but to make the dilemma more difficult, the lower 6 is no longer hurting the past few days except when I chew. Before the pain was spontaneous as well as when chewing. My dentist feels this could be due to tmjd rather than a dodgy molar. I can't cancel the appointment at this stage but I'm worried the oral surgeon will think I'm completely messing her about if I show up and don't get any teeth out. Obviously I would pay her for the appointment anyway, but as a dentist would this annoy you? I'm really panicking about getting teeth out but will do it if necessary. But seems pointless to remove the tooth if its actually the jaw causing the pain. On the other hand I know I can't leave the tooth with only the first part of rct done indefinitely. Appointment is first thing tomorrow so any advice would be greatly appreciated

Hi TheTinyDancer,

Part of an oral surgeon’s expertise is TMJ so you can consult with the surgeon first just to make sure whether it is indeed the joint.
I urge you not to cancel the appointment (although you feel stressed), and let the oral surgeon examine and talk with you. In any case, you are the one who decides whether one tow or none will be extracted.

Thank you for the swift reply @Dr. Daniel

I don't want her thinking I'm intentionally wasting her time but like I said if the tooth isn't sore at the minute I'd rather keep it (although I do know it will need to come out at some point if I don't complete the rct). At the minute I'm just not sure I can justify extraction. It may seem silly waiting again until it gets painful but that's the only time I feel that I'm making the right decision in getting treatment, otherwise I dither and overthink. May I just ask, by removing the LL6 could it change the bite? My LL6 and UL6 somerimes clang together when at rest which makes me think the pain could be due to the ligaments. At other times they rest normally. By removing the LL6 could I be somehow making the bite even more misaligned?

In the end, you have to choose between finishing the root canal treatment or extracting it. It is not an easy decision and your dentist should guide you through to make that choice.
if you are reluctant to make a choice, that can be annoying for the dental care providers because in the end, one of the two options will take place.
On the other hand, if you tell the oral surgeon that you have changed your mind and want to keep the tooth and have only the wisdom tooth removed, it will be respected as a legitimate change of mind.

Thank you for the advice @Dr. Daniel . Got the tooth out. It fractured as soon as the elevator was applied so probably for the best it came out. I've been experiencing tingling in my tongue since the procedure. Is that normal or is it possible nerve damage? Anaesthetic seems to have worn off as quite sore

Thank you for the advice @Dr. Daniel . Got the tooth out. It fractured as soon as the elevator was applied so probably for the best it came out. I've been experiencing tingling in my tongue since the procedure. Is that normal or is it possible nerve damage? Anaesthetic seems to have worn off as quite sore
You did great. Good for you. A crack is a hopeless case for a tooth so it has to go out.
I would wait a few more hours with the tongue.