• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

To crown or not to crown? Too scared to make a choice

H

Housefullofkids82

I just found this site and made another post about another dental issue I'm having.
Long story short, I've always had awful, and what I'd call weak, teeth between poor care as a child and 3 transplants requiring meds like prednisone. I've had 5 root canals. One was extracted 5 years ago when a clamp placed for a dental dam was put on it and the crown came off. This made a terrified dental patient like myself even more terrified.

Now I have 4 root canals left in my mouth. 2 done by my former dentist (with crowns - a molar and premolar) and 2 done by an endo (tooth next to my front tooth and a canine. They are not crowned).

The two by the endo, my former dentist wanted to cap, but I'm too scared. She said herself that the endo did a great job and the teeth were pretty well intact with only tiny fillings.

Now one of the two crowned root canals my former dentist did (a premolar next to the other crowned premolar that fell off) will likely have to be removed as it's become accessed (I've been referred to the endo but it's so expensive that I'm leaning towards extracting it) and this is consuming my life. I'm so scared.

But now I'm even more worried about the idea of capping two teeth near the front! Is it necessary? I feel like I have such awful luck with crowns that I don't want to risk it :(

Also, I'm worried about impressions if I do get an extraction. I'd want a partial. I'm worried that my teeth are so weak that they'll fall out during the impression process, especially the two in the front with root canals :(.

Thank you for any help and advice :)

I can’t help you with the other issues, but the impressions won’t pull your other teeth out.

What's the reason given for doing the crowns?

What's the reason given for doing the crowns?
My former dentist said that they needed to be crowned because they had root canals. My new dentist hasn't mentioned crowns so I am going to ask about it but now that I'll be losing 2 crowns, I am so scared of adding more, especially to the front :(

Not a very good reason really... front teeth don't always need crowned after root canals, mainly because we don't have to remove so much of the tooth substance to get at all the canals, so the teeth aren't weakened so much as molars where we have to make a pretty big hole to access all the canals.
My front tooth has been root treated for 44 years and counting without a crown :)

Not a very good reason really... front teeth don't always need crowned after root canals, mainly because we don't have to remove so much of the tooth substance to get at all the canals, so the teeth aren't weakened so much as molars where we have to make a pretty big hole to access all the canals.
My front tooth has been root treated for 44 years and counting without a crown :)
Thank you very much! That makes me feel so much better.

Get your endo to fix your abscess first and foremost or at least give an opinion on it. Regarding the others, ask your endo for an opinion.

Back