• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

To extract or not to extract

R

Routine

I'm posting this because it's been driving me mental for the past week. Now let's see if I can explain this properly, since I'm not too familiar with dental terminology in English (sorry).

So, recently, I went to my dentist because I'd noticed the filling (?) in one of my molars seems kind of loose. Long story short that tooth is probably lost (it's post-root canal too), but after removing the filling she noticed that the molar next to it had a cavity, and it turned out this one also needs a root canal. She also decided that prior to starting the root canal I should also get the first molar (the one with the loose filling) extracted as well as the wisdom tooth on the other side, which is impacted and hasn't emerged at all.

Now, of course, I'm freaking out because extractions still scare me, but first, she also sent me to an orthodontist, so that he would take a look at my teeth and give his opinion (since my teeth are all sorts of screwed up because my jaw isn't shaped properly).

And well, the orthodontist thinks I should keep both the molar and the wisdom tooth, but that some of my teeth would require certain procedures in the future to make them... less screwed up. And, I mean, he's a good doctor, from what I know about him, but some of the things he's told me I'm kind of doubtful about - i.e. when I asked him about the wisdom tooth he told me that an impacted wisdom tooth could be straightened if - and when - it erupts (but then again it's possible that I've misunderstood something, as I was both sleep deprived and freaking out during that visit).

Now, of course, I'd rather not get any extractions if I can help it, especially not on the wisdom tooth (it hasn't been bothering me in any way, just FYI), but on the other hand, I'm still booked with a surgeon for an extraction this week. Of course it's ultimately up to me whether I get these teeth removed or not, the dentist is just worried that they're going to have negative impact on the molar in-between, since teeth get more delicate after a root canal. The orthondoist had said that he'd phone my dentist and explain the situation, but honestly I just don't know what to do and what to think anymore. Help?

Hi,

You are in a difficult situation because of various opinions from various dentists. I would first wait for the two dentists to talk about your case directly. If you are still not happy, you can get another opinion or even place your X rays in this forum.
You can certainly tell your dentist that you strongly prefer to avoid an extraction. Your wishes are an important consideration.
Hope it helps.

You can certainly tell your dentist that you strongly prefer to avoid an extraction. Your wishes are an important consideration.

Thanks. I'm the type of person to just go along with whatever the doctor says (especially since they don't always treat my concerns as seriously, because they know I'm refusing because I'm scared), but that's an important thing to keep in mind.

I'm just worried my dentist will push towards an extraction anyway (and I'm sure her concerns are valid too) and I won't be assertive enough to say otherwise.

I'm just worried my dentist will push towards an extraction anyway (and I'm sure her concerns are valid too) and I won't be assertive enough to say otherwise.
Is getting a second opinion an option?

Is getting a second opinion an option?

Yeah, I suppose so. For now I guess I'm just going to ask the surgeon what he thinks I should do, since I've got the visit scheduled for tomorrow anyway.

You could also ask the surgeon for a recommendation if you are not sure who to see for a second opinion.

Back