• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Today is the day and I am already crying!

A

Amanda2010t

I haven't been to the dentist, besides only going in a year and a half ago to get an extraction, in 12 years. Like a couple weeks ago my gum around one of my lower teeth got swollen and really tender and I noticed a pimple like thing on it. Well I popped it and now when I put pressure on it a tiny drop of pus comes out. I am one of the people who immediately look up my symptoms and think the worst. I can't handle the fear anymore so I made a dentist appointment for today. I woke up feeling nervous, can't eat and have been crying on and off all day because of the unknown. I don't have insurance so I am afraid I will need a root canal to save the tooth and I can't afford that! My tooth doesn't show a cavity so this all just came out of nowhere for me!

I haven't been to the dentist, besides only going in a year and a half ago to get an extraction, in 12 years. Like a couple weeks ago my gum around one of my lower teeth got swollen and really tender and I noticed a pimple like thing on it. Well I popped it and now when I put pressure on it a tiny drop of pus comes out. I am one of the people who immediately look up my symptoms and think the worst. I can't handle the fear anymore so I made a dentist appointment for today. I woke up feeling nervous, can't eat and have been crying on and off all day because of the unknown. I don't have insurance so I am afraid I will need a root canal to save the tooth and I can't afford that! My tooth doesn't show a cavity so this all just came out of nowhere for me!

How did your appointment go, Amanda?

How did did it go?

Thank you guys for asking!

It actually went waaaaay better than I thought it was going to go. On the way to the dentist I really thought I was going to pass out and then when I got there it was even worse! Having the X-rays done I gagged a couple of times but the lady that was doing them was super nice and so understanding. By the time I was done with that and the dentist came in I found out I had 2 cavities, need at least for sure one bridge and I need a deep cleaning. Turns out what I thought was an abcess was just gum irritation and the cleaning should help that. I was so worried that my teeth were going to need to come out and I would t be able to afford implants or dentures. I guess I was just worrying myself for nothing. I go back next month for the cleaning and the fillings and honestly I am excited to go as weird as that sounds!!:giggle: