• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Today is the day...tell me it's going to be okay

F

Freakingout

Today I am having my first dental consult in over a decade. I need lots of work and I'm just so afraid to take that first step. Tell me I'll have the strength to actually follow through with it!

You can do it. Just keep telling yourself you can do it.

One step at a time, and remember you're in control. Also think how great it will feel afterwards!

I've got to have my biggest filling replaced in a couple of hours, and despite having had lots of totally painfree treatment since 2008, still feel apprehensive. But what gets me in the chair is thinking that I won't let this beat me. 'Live life without fear' is a very good motto.

Every single time, the stuff that has gone on in my head before an appointment, has been far worse than the reality - and I have had extractions, root canal, fillings, the lot.

We'll both be out the other side this evening, eh? Go on! I'll do it if you do it!

Good luck, you can do it!!! The first consultation should really just be a chance to meet the dentist, and let him have a look at your teeth. Dentists are very sensitive to the fears of new/phobic patients, so mention that you're scared and you'll usually get a little more sympathy and gentleness.

The hardest thing in the world is walking into that office-- from there on out, you'll be taken care of by kind people who are there to help you, and you'll be surprised at how easy and painless everything is.

...and THEN, you'll be back on here bragging about how well it went and how proud you are for having gone and survived.

Today, just focus on moving forward. You'll be scared, but you'll keep moving forward, and before you know it, you'll be wondering what it was that kept you away for so long.

Good luck!

Thanks.

Steve, I've been lurking for some time and it's your posts that gave me the strength to make that call. I just have to actually get out of the car when I get there and walk in the door.

How did you get on?

I hope all went well for you and by now you are shocked at how easy you found it. :XXLhug::XXLhug::XXLhug:

Indeed! I was fortunate to have found the right dentist right off the bat and he made me feel comfortable. I have my first appointment to begin treatment on Tuesday. No major work though...just some fillings replaced. It was so much easier than I thought it would be!

One thing though...at the dentist's office my blood pressure soared, prompting him to suggest I see a doctor. However, I just saw my doctor on Friday and my blood pressure was fine, and it typically is within normal ranges. Is this something you all experience at the dentist too?

OH yes and at the doctors and hospital too, it is know as white coat syndrome. I was going to be put on BP tablets until I asked them to let me keep a record at home with one of the BP machines you can get at the chemists.

My BP is normal as it turns out, until I get near anything medical and then it is sky high. Don't worry, it is a good job the visits aren't for too long, or we could be in trouble.

I am glad your appointment went well and glad you have a keeper for a dentist. Lucky you :jump::jump::jump:
:superman::superman::superman::star::thumbsup!::thumbsup!::thumbsup!::yayy::yayy::yayy::perfect::claps::claps::claps::claps::claps::claps::yay::butterfly:

Well im now 10 hours away from hell...lol.

I know its not hell but being scared you cannot help but think it is hell until you leave and think... what the the hell was i so scared about that for (happens every time).

This time is a different sedation than i have had before so im as scared as ever. Im nearly 30 with 2 kids and im scared.....somebody help me! lol.

The dentist definitely did tell me that i should eat light 2 hours before i go........ can any UK residents confirm this? and what exactly does 'light' mean?. I just want this over with.......... i will not sleep tonight i bet ya.

Hi I know all the feeling you have at the moment, I had an appointment myself last week that had me in a right old pickle. I am sure one day my heart with just leave my body and say enough of this.

Of course as you say it was no where near as bad as my imagination had it. It wasn't bad at all really, but we still do this to our selves.

You probably won't sleep but sometimes by the time I get to the dentist I am that exhausted from lack of sleep and food, the fact I am there and it is happening actually is calming, knowing it will be over soon.

I think light means maybe some soup or toast maybe. Start a new thread and ask about this I think people that have had the sedation will be of more help to you than me.

I am UK based but I haven't had sedation.

I am sure it will go well, let us know how get on when you feel up to it. GOOD LUCK :clover::clover::clover:

Try and not get too stressed and get some sleep.

Hi I know all the feeling you have at the moment, I had an appointment myself last week that had me in a right old pickle. I am sure one day my heart with just leave my body and say enough of this.

Of course as you say it was no where near as bad as my imagination had it. It wasn't bad at all really, but we still do this to our selves.

You probably won't sleep but sometimes by the time I get to the dentist I am that exhausted from lack of sleep and food, the fact I am there and it is happening actually is calming, knowing it will be over soon.

I think light means maybe some soup or toast maybe. Start a new thread and ask about this I think people that have had the sedation will be of more help to you than me.

I am UK based but I haven't had sedation.

I am sure it will go well, let us know how get on when you feel up to it. GOOD LUCK :clover::clover::clover:

Try and not get too stressed and get some sleep.

Thanks for your support,

Can i ask how did you manage to land yourself on a dental phobia forum but you say you went to the dentist last week presumably just with LA? Im so scared but reality will not kick in till im there and i know i will sit stiff and scared till its over and done with.

Hi :)
You really will be ok. The build up to it is always much worse than the actual appointment. From what you said, I assume you are having iv sedation.I had this a couple of weeks ago for an extraction, and remember very little about the procedure (I came round a little for just a few seconds, and the dentist gave me a little more through the iv, and I was out like a light again). I felt no pain. I had the same instructions, eat something light 2 hours before the appointment. I had an early morning appointment, so I had a slice of toast and and a coffee. I was fine with that. If you have any questions please feel free to ask.
Will be thinking of you, let us know how you get on.

Hi :)
You really will be ok. The build up to it is always much worse than the actual appointment. From what you said, I assume you are having iv sedation.I had this a couple of weeks ago for an extraction, and remember very little about the procedure (I came round a little for just a few seconds, and the dentist gave me a little more through the iv, and I was out like a light again). I felt no pain. I had the same instructions, eat something light 2 hours before the appointment. I had an early morning appointment, so I had a slice of toast and and a coffee. I was fine with that. If you have any questions please feel free to ask.
Will be thinking of you, let us know how you get on.

Thank you very much,
i think my appointment is 2 hours long.... well thats what i've paid for anyway. The dentist said she might not get it all done in 2 hours...eek!. I hope i dont 'wake up' in these 2 hours.

Thanks for the support, i will try and sleep tonight

I found the forum about a year ago and very carefully looked around because I couldn't discuss teeth or even see anything dental related without feeling that dread and impending doom. I have always been nervous due to bad treatment as a child and some as an adult. But I have always forced myself to go and get treatment.

I am an nhs patient and when they leave and I have to change dentist it is terrible and like the end of the world. I have usually managed to find a good caring and considerate dentist though. I have had a lot of work done over the years.

I still shake in the chair and still can feel sick, on my way last week I hadn't slept for over a week properly, I am not a good sleeper at the best of times. When I did get to sleep I would have nightmares and wake up in a panic. I can replay appointments in my head for some time too. I went to my appointment shaking and felt like I was going to faint, my legs were like jelly. My heart was pounding and I couldn't get my breath, I waited to be called and when the dentist came to get me, he was very cheery and I told him I was nervous he put my mind at rest and explained what was going to happen, he told me if I wanted him to stop he would straight away, and not to worry it would be okay.

It was I have to go back for a few more worries and although I am a bit nervous I will not be the total shaking mess I was. I have had this fear all my life and I can not beat it. But with a good dentist I can get treatment done.

You will too and it will be over and done with. I find if I get there they are very good at getting the job done and keeping me calm in the process. Every time I think, silly that wasn't that bad, next time I will not shake or feel nervous, but I do. So don't worry just get there then let them take care of you. :XXLhug:

Thank you very much,
i think my appointment is 2 hours long.... well thats what i've paid for anyway. The dentist said she might not get it all done in 2 hours...eek!. I hope i dont 'wake up' in these 2 hours.

Thanks for the support, i will try and sleep tonight

The beauty of iv sedation is that they can keep topping it up. They start out with a little, and they can keep topping it up a little till you're at a good level. I was aware of nothing about 5 seconds after the first dose was put in. I don't remember the numbing injections, I didn't feel them, and I had no pain or fear once that dose went in. I just have a vague recollection of something happening for a few seconds, and apparently the procedure was almost over then, but he still gave me some more through the iv. Once home, I went back to bed and slept soundly for 4 hours solid. Did I mention I love iv sedation? ;D

I found the forum about a year ago and very carefully looked around because I couldn't discuss teeth or even see anything dental related without feeling that dread and impending doom. I have always been nervous due to bad treatment as a child and some as an adult. But I have always forced myself to go and get treatment.

I am an nhs patient and when they leave and I have to change dentist it is terrible and like the end of the world. I have usually managed to find a good caring and considerate dentist though. I have had a lot of work done over the years.

I still shake in the chair and still can feel sick, on my way last week I hadn't slept for over a week properly, I am not a good sleeper at the best of times. When I did get to sleep I would have nightmares and wake up in a panic. I can replay appointments in my head for some time too. I went to my appointment shaking and felt like I was going to faint, my legs were like jelly. My heart was pounding and I couldn't get my breath, I waited to be called and when the dentist came to get me, he was very cheery and I told him I was nervous he put my mind at rest and explained what was going to happen, he told me if I wanted him to stop he would straight away, and not to worry it would be okay.

It was I have to go back for a few more worries and although I am a bit nervous I will not be the total shaking mess I was. I have had this fear all my life and I can not beat it. But with a good dentist I can get treatment done.

You will too and it will be over and done with. I find if I get there they are very good at getting the job done and keeping me calm in the process. Every time I think, silly that wasn't that bad, next time I will not shake or feel nervous, but I do. So don't worry just get there then let them take care of you. :XXLhug:

I also had bad experience as a child. I still remember it to this day (but funny enough i cant remember my last 3 sedated appointments). Anyway the one as a kid i remember refusing treatment (naughty me) and then the next thing i knew i was held down by 6 people, like i was about to die or something. I was gassed which is now illegal. This was 21 years+ ago when i was about 8 or 9 or so.

But as i say i cannot remember the 3 sedated treatments 10 years ago, 12 years ago and 14 years ago.

By the way carole, why have you not tried sedation?

No sedation is not for me, it makes me panic. I cannot stand the loss of control, as scared as I might be I need to be aware and able to run. I don't know where I think I would run to or how with half a treatment done but I just need to know I can :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

We are all different and one size does not fit all. We all need to do what it takes to get treatment, it doesn't matter what it is as long as we can manage to go.

im out and im in bed as i speak, the whole process went fine. the absess found under my troubled wisdom tooth was the biggest the denist has ever seen in her 20 years.i have to go back soon to get a filling and another extractions.

once ive slept i will'update a bit better.......still drugged at the mo

Get plenty of rest now for the next few hours. I look forward to reading how you got on. :off-to-bed::off-to-bed::off-to-bed::sleep::sleep::sleep::sleep::sleep::grouphug::hug5::grouphug::there-there:

So as i said above its all done!....

The day started with me not sleeping the night before, i slept for 3 hours. Woke up 2 hours before the appointment and had a nibble on some toast and a orange juice and then went back to bed to try and scare myself by trying to find horror stories online on my tablet. (couldnt find any).

Got to the dentist at 9.55am only 5 mins to my appointment. Due to some reason i wasnt seen till 10.35pm. Was very welcomed by all the dentist, nurses and receptionists having chats with all of them which was good and soothing. Popped straight into the chair, finger pulse monitor stuck on the finger, needle in the arm. Constantly was spoken to by the dentist, it was great.

Now this is the part that was a little bit different for me. I remember a fair bit of the whole treatment, but do you know what? i LOVED IT. The IV sedation was truly amazing and it is hard to believe the stories of how it works by reading other comments, but honestly it doesnt make you feel sick or light headed, it doesnt make you dizzy or ANYTHING uncomfortable. I remember sitting in the chair shaking and as soon as the IV sedation went in my shakes stopped and i felt super relaxed. I was in the chair for 1 hour 20 mins but it felt like 5 or 10 mins as per other stories suggested. I even walked down the dentist stairs 10 mins after i was finished on my own....it was easy! HOWEVER, its been 10 hours now since i left the dentist and i can still remember many parts of the procedure including the cleaning of my teeth which felt cold but good and i remember swallowing a little water.

Let me tell anyone reading this, i felt ZERO pain through the whole thing. Ok i tell a lie i felt a small scratch when the needle went in and the dentist pulled out a abscess from under my wisdom tooth the size of a marble and the dentist said it was the biggest one shes ever seen in 20 years. Soon as this abscess was removed it stung a little bit, like a very soft tooth ache but it didnt last long.

Other than that as i say i was super relaxed, amazed it was over so quickly. Compared to others i can remember more about it all but as i say it is good memories (honest).

Im pleasantly surprised and i am booked again next week for 1 tooth removal and 1 filling which i cannot wait for now lol.

Im on anti biotics and pain killers which i have taken from the word go. Jaws a little sore but no real pain even now. In fact after the procedure at home is more uncomfy than at the dentist!

Oh yeah :jump::jump::jump::jump::jump:you've done it :jump::jump::jump::jump::jump::jump::jump::jump::jump::jump: and to think you wouldn't have believed last night what you have just written.

I am so pleased for you, that is one good dentist, I can't believe you can't wait to go back, now that is what I call a RESULT :cheer::cheer::cheer::cheer2::cheer2::thumbsup::thumbsup::dance2::dance2::dance2::dance::dance::dance::yayy::wow::perfect::claps::claps::claps::claps::claps::claps::claps::bounces::bounces::bounces::butterfly::butterfly::butterfly::superman::superman::superman:

Your jaw may ache for a few days, nothing bad. Happy healing :respect::respect::respect:

I am impressed :cool::cool::cool: