• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Today was the breakthrough day

G

Former Member
:jump:Since I was a child I have had a dental phobia. I won't bore you with why, but I've had it my entire adult life and have avoided the dentist whenever I could. My history is to get up the courage to go, get the work done as quickly as possible and then don't return until a tooth starts bothering me. Bad thing to do, but you guys know why we do it...we're just too scared to put ourselves through it.

About 5 years ago I had a tooth bothering me, went to the dentist, told a root canal was in order, then I chickened out and never went back. Fast forward to the present...the tooth gets really bad, root canal is imminent. I bite the bullet and have it done. It was uncomfortable, but not painful and took quite a bit longer than it should have because of my crying fits, etc. while I was there. I realized when it was over that my fear was the greatest pain during the entire procedure.

So, here we are today, another toothache, another trip to the dentist. Told I should have the back left molar and upper wisdom tooth pulled. Best to go to an oral surgeon. Ok, I say, let's do it. The day before I am totally panicked, going crazy, crying, can't eat, sleep, taking pills to calm me down. Just a total wreck....well, here is my story of the procedure and I'm going to be as honest and unbiased as possible for all of you out there with the same fears I have.

Checked in to the office at 8:00 a.m. totally ill, panicked and ready to bolt. Rushed into the consultation with my surgeon who was incredibly sympathetic and informative. He went thru the entire procedure, including naming every drug. I was still just shaking and sick. He did calm me a bit, but I still wasn't ready. He left the room then things started happening very quickly. A nurse came in and stuck the gas thingy on my nose and told me to breath deeply. Another nurse put a bib on me and some sticky things on my chest. I'm breathing and starting to relax, but still feel like crying and wanting my mommy (and I'm 47!). The one nurse holds my hand and a third nurse grabs my right hand and says there will be a little stick. I say ok, I barely feel it, I turn my head and look at the nurse holding my hand and next thing....I'm waking up and they are telling me I did great. It was over!!!!! I felt nothing. They moved me into a room where I laid down and slept a bit, then they woke me up and my hubby walked me to the car. He said I was dancing to the car, but I don't remember. He took me to get a yummy strawberry milkshake and home we went. I was very numb and slept on and off most of the day. There is a slight pain tonight, but nothing an advil won't cure. It was nothing, and I'm just so angry with myself that I went thru what I did beforehand for nothing. Never again. This was my turning point. Our fear is our greatest source of pain with dental procedures, I don't doubt that at all now. I will never put myself thru that again. Bring it on is what I say!!!

Back