• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Tomorrow is my first dental appointment in 8 years...so scared!

S

Sassykd

I have about 8-10 rotten teeth some broke down to the gum line. I just got a horrible tooth infection that made my face swell and I had to go to the ER. I am so emotional and embarrassed about my mouth because I am only 39 and probably need dentures. I need some reassurance for the upcoming teeth removals. I have two kids and single mom. I can't have all the teeth removed at once.

What should I expect at my first appointment and during removals?

Well, I can’t speak to the extractions, but I can relate to not having visited the dentist in a long time. I went five years before a toothache forced me to go back. Listen, don’t be ashamed or embarrassed. We all have reasons to avoid the dentist and they understand that. At my first visit, no one said anything to make me feel bad. They just went into solution. All you have to say is, “I screwed up, but I’m here now. Let‘s do this.” You will be so relieved to get treatment underway, and once it’s done, you will have your life back! You've got this. Please come back and let us know how it went. We will give all the support you need to get through it!

Back