• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Tomorrow is My First Visit to the Dentist in 11 Years

H

HappyTears

I am so nervous, and I'm already feeling anxiety about my visit tomorrow! It is just a consultation, but it will be my first time in a dentist's chair in over a decade, if I don't count an emergency extraction I had a few years ago. My biggest fear is that he'll tell me I need extractions of my front teeth and/or surgery for gum disease and/or bone loss.

Edit: 4/2711 - I didn't go. I rescheduled...

Last edited:
It's not easy is it?
I think thats why its put off - fearing the worst. But, for my case, I waited 36 years to go and did get told the worst. But, it did change, there were other alternatives anyway - plus, it may be that you won't even need the worst!
You rescheduled - thats a plus - you didn't just cancel and leave it...
Is it fear of the dentist or more fear of what you are told?

I'll bet 80% of the folks here have cancelled that first appointment...don't let it get you down! TRULY, HONESTLY it is worth it! Keep trying...keep an appointment date...keep telling yourself that it's ONLY a consultation (nothing will happen unless you want it to). I cannot fully describe the utter RELIEF I felt when I finally got into that dreaded chair and shared my agony, terror and complete mortification with someone who listened and then offered me comfort and compassion...not to mention an end to my PAIN! I bawled my eyes out like a baby, I shook, I hyperventillated but I DID IT!!! And the diagnosis was relatively "minor" compared to my presumptions.
Fear is an ugly green monster...but you can smack it down and DO THIS. YOU will be the winner!
Sending you courage and my very best wishes.

Mghstl is soooo right---I also went to my 1st appt totally paralyzed with fear---shaking like you would not believe--I even lost my voice--and had to hoarsly push out the words when talking to the new dentist....and getting thru that and going ahead with the dental treatment has completely changed my life for the better.

Your teeth are not going to get better by themselves...just let the office know you are a dental phobic--my dentist's receptionist said it is very, very common--she has been in the dental field for years...and I think you will be really surprised at the kindness that can be extended to you because of your honesty--(if you don't experience that gentleness and kindness then move on--just get up and walk out!!!--they are working for you!!)

Be kind to yourself--take care of your mouth and your health--you will be sooo very proud of yourself when you do!!! :XXLhug:

Hi Happy Tears

I was too terrified to go to the dentist for more than 30 years and in that time I lost count of the number of times I 'rescheduled' my appointments - I have even made them in false names and addresses, actually gone to the surgery but left when the name was called!

mghstl is right, phobia is a monster and the more we feed it the more it grows and controls us ..... I know it sounds silly but with every small step you take it's like you can feel it shrinking.

Like all phobics I had it all worked out in my head, I knew exactly what my treatment would consist of and exactly what the dentist would say - How wrong could I have been??
I too was a quivering wreck in awful pain and living off of antibiotics, finally I was in a 'have no choice' situation. I found a remarkable dentist who has changed my life. I cried, I sobbed, I moaned & groaned .... even fainted on a couple of occasions but the treatment wasn't anywhere near as bad as the monster had led me to believe.

As for the monster, it is still hanging about but now it's very small and lives in a cage where I have total control of it - I am hoping one day, through lack of food, it shrivels and dies.

Just remember, you are in control and with baby steps you CAN beat it ...........
:)

Dear Happytears,

We have all been there and understand the fear. Didn't See It Coming, mghstl, K-Bird, April are right. It will be so worth it when you keep that appointment. I hadn't been to the dentist in 35 years, but am so glad I finally went. I cried at that initial dentist consult, cried at the endodontist consult, and cried at the oral surgeon consult. It's ok. All three dentists were kind and understanding. Dentistry has improved over the years and dental professionals are there to help you. Whatever your dentist recommends, we know you have the courage to face your fears and do this for yourself. We are here to support you!

Thanks, everyone! My appointment is tomorrow and just thinking about it scares me. I found this dentist on the internet looking up gentle deep cleanings. lol He has a lot of testimonials, some from other dental phobics. When I made the appointment, I let whoever answer the phone know that I haven't been in over a decade, am scared, and am pretty sure I have gum disease so they won't be shocked when they see me. She seemed really nice and not phased at all. I just hope that it doesn't hurt and that I can afford everything. (She quoted me for the initial consultation but said the extent of the cleaning I need will be determined when they see my mouth.)

I'll update you guys tomorrow.

It's not easy is it?
I think thats why its put off - fearing the worst. But, for my case, I waited 36 years to go and did get told the worst. But, it did change, there were other alternatives anyway - plus, it may be that you won't even need the worst!
You rescheduled - thats a plus - you didn't just cancel and leave it...
Is it fear of the dentist or more fear of what you are told?

Definitely both! I always imagine the worst. I say I want to prepare myself for the worst thing that can happen, but that turns into fear that gets out of hand, especially with anxiety.

I didn't really experience dental pain until I had my first deep cleaning ten or so years ago. I guess the dentist hit a nerve, and although it was brief, it was so painful! I didn't want to go through that again, and I didn't go to the dentist again till about 3 or 4 years ago when I had an abcessed tooth that needed extraction. And that pain topped it! It was worse than natural childbirth. I was crying like a baby, gripping the arm rest, feet digging into the seat. The dentist didn't care about the pain, and when it was over, said it was hard to get the tooth out because it had curved roots or something.

I've always feared going through that again, or worse, which is one of the main reasons I've stayed away from dentists for so long.

and I didn't go to the dentist again till about 3 or 4 years ago when I had an abcessed tooth that needed extraction. And that pain topped it! It was worse than natural childbirth. I was crying like a baby, gripping the arm rest, feet digging into the seat. The dentist didn't care about the pain, and when it was over, said it was hard to get the tooth out because it had curved roots or something.

I've always feared going through that again, or worse, which is one of the main reasons I've stayed away from dentists for so long.

No wonder you are so scared....it doesn't have to be painful like that. It sounds like you weren't properly numb because of the infection maybe. There are ways round this though. Not all dentists think it is ok to hurt patients but alas some seem to still.
Look at it this way...do you think when a rich movie star gets a tooth problem they suffer any pain getting it fixed? Thought not...painless dentistry does exist but the dentist has to have the right skills and attitude. They have to care about the quality of their patient's experience.

Back