• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Too long to wait for a root canal?

K

kelly88

I posted a few days ago about needing a root canal and not feeling confident about my dentist.

Quick background- my molar has a filling in it (apparently not too big or deep). Just over a week ago I woke with pain in this tooth which got worse over the next couple of hours. I saw the emergency dentist who said there was a "pathology" on the x-ray, took the filling out and put another one in. I then saw my dentist a couple of days later who said there was a bit of infection but it could wait until my orthodontic treatment is over in roughly two months as long as the pain went away. After a course of antibiotics my teeth feel normal again.

I had originally had a root canal scheduled with my dentist next Monday. I don't feel comfortable about her doing it at all though. Fear is getting the better of me and I don't think I can do this while I'm awake.

I did some research over the Easter weekend and called a couple of experienced dentists (in surgeries that offer sedation) and made an appointment to see a dentist one the 20th. Three weeks away.

I can't sleep because I'm so worried. I really don't think I can go through with the root canal with my own dentist next Monday, I don't feel comfortable at all. But I also worry that leaving it for three weeks is too long. They said they will fit me in sooner if the pain comes back.

I'm having such bad anxiety over the whole thing, feeling very down. I'm constantly waiting for the pain to come back, fears of losing the tooth, fears of getting the root canal done. I feel more confident about this other dentist but is three weeks too long? I'm not in pain, the infection only seemed to be minor, the emergency dentist had filled the tooth so I'm assuming no new infection can get in for now (?) I'm being really careful about eating, keeping my teeth clean.

I'm not leaving this too long am I? I feel like I'm being ridiculous, I should just let my dentist do it next week but I just can't.

I'm not a dentist, but have had 4 RCTs. If you're not in pain, 3 weeks seems fine to wait. If you're in pain, I would call and get a sooner appt. best of luck to you?

Three weeks is not too long at all. In fact, with my three previous root canals (all stemming from pain in my teeth), I waited a similar amount of time. With my currently infected tooth, there is no pain - but I am still waiting about a month before I get the root canal done (New dentist wanted to submit a pre-authorization to my insurance and said it'd be about a month to ensure it'd be covered).

If you were having pain or had active infection, the scenario might be different - but in all honesty, 3 weeks isn't so bad.

Ah thank you SO MUCH! I'm driving myself bonkers thinking I'm going to lose many teeth by waiting or something... I haven't slept well for the last few nights because I've been panicking that it's too long... then I'm laying awake waiting for the pain to come back.

It feels fine at the moment, almost as good as it did before the infection. It's just ever so slightly sensitive if I bite on it and when I swish mouthwash/cold water. Otherwise it doesn't feel like it's bad (although I know it is and needs to be sorted).

Glad to read that it can wait a few weeks!

Back