• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Took Valium 2 hours ago and not sleepy, not relaxed.

P

pinkadelic

My dentist ordered 5 mg of valium to take tonight before bed and again one hour before my appointment tomorrow. I tooke it over 2 hours ago and don't feel a thing. Now I'm freaking out that it won't help tomorrow when I thought it was supposed to make me sleepy and less anxious. Gah! Has anyone else been unfazed by valium?

Hi

I had to get Diazepam (5mg) because I had the worst panic attack before my first appointment a few weeks ago. I haven't been sleeping and so took one on a couple of nights, and I remember sitting up in bed thinking, this is not doing a thing and the next thing I knew I was waking up having had a brilliant sleep.

I then took one an hour before my second appointment with another dentist, and although I was still having a panic, it was nothing like the very first panic attack when my hubby thought I was going to have a heart attack. I was still a trembling mess, and teary etc, but I think it must have taken the edge off of how I would have been had I not taken it.

Hope that helps and you are ok - keep us updated.

Kim

Thanks, Kim. I ended up taking another 5 mg at 11:30 but can't say that I fell asleep any faster (about 1:00 a.m.) or slept any better than normal. My heart is still racing in anticipation of today's appointment. Valium doesn't seem to work on me. Boo.

so 10 mg of valium and .50 mg of halcion did nothing to calm/sedate me. I ended up just having to put on my big girl panties and suck it up. Took 3 attempts before they were able to fully numb me after two failed (excruciating) tries. I was awake and alert through it all. The staff couldn't believe it. I don't do drugs or drink alcohol but these drugs were in no way what I would consider "oral sedation." I survived, but it will be a long time before I go back. :(

I just read your other thread and I don't know how you did it, WELL DONE :jump: :jump: :jump: :jump: :jump: I hate reading stories like yours, never mind the staff were surprised, do they think you weren't. It gives me shivers down my back thinking of this, it's things like this that makes us phobic/nervous. Sorry this happened to you, but like you say it's over now, thank goodness. :grouphug: I think you deserve one of these, as well as a medal.

I don't really blame him--I think I'm just really difficult to numb. It's happened enough times now that I know my nerves probably aren't in textbook position. And he was truly concerned, stopped immediately when I made the slightest sound or move to ask me what he could do. What also helped is that his assistant explained everything as we went along, gave me time estimates, etc. The unknown, for me, is one of the scariest parts of the experience.

I still can't believe all those drugs had no affect on me. I've heard that happens to people who have taken a lot of drugs, but I'm fairly holistic, don't drink, and rarely take more than a tylenol.

Back