• Welcome to Dental Fear Central! This is a place for mutual support and any questions you may have that are related to dental phobia, fear or anxiety. It is run by volunteers with first-hand experience of dental phobia and anxiety together with dental practitioners who like to help. The "Verified dentist" badges will tell you whether an answer has been provided by a qualified dental practitioner. If you'd like to use all the features of this forum and share your own experiences, or if you are a dental professional who would like to contribute, register now.

We strive to promote a safe, friendly and trustworthy environment with our team of moderators monitoring all discussions daily.

Tooth ache worsens with position of head?

M

MountainMama

So I am so confused about my cracked tooth. I have had so many conflicting symptoms with this tooth (including being unsure if the tooth was actually cracked). My dentist originally said it was cracked after elimination of other diagnoses. Then at my last appointment they said they saw a crack on the 3D x ray and we scheduled a crown prep, which is now delayed until who knows when.
They tested it and said the nerve was fine. I had a lot of aching in my jaw, which subsided after my nightguard was adjusted.
Just last night, I started having a more intense ache that would intensify then fade. The weird thing is that it gets worse when my head is down, or I lean over or tilt my head. Could it be related to my jaw muscles? I have been feeling like my jaw is tight right now.
Aaagh! Right now isn’t the time to have more pain crop up. I almost just want to ask them to extract it because I am so tired of this.

Gordon

Gordon

Administrator
Staff member
Verified dentist
Could be sinus issues, they're very commonly related to head position. Or it could be your jaw. Sorry not a great deal of help there!

M

MountainMama

Could be sinus issues, they're very commonly related to head position. Or it could be your jaw. Sorry not a great deal of help there!
That’s okay. I appreciate you responding. I think just having hope that it could be my jaw would be nice. I don’t think I can handle having a tooth nerve flare up right now with the dentist closed.
I do have sinus issues right now (allergies), but this is a lower tooth which wouldn’t be likely to be affected, right?
I really hope it is just my jaw. Stress is high right now, obviously, so I have been back to clenching at night. I woke up doing it last night, biting hard on my nightguard.

Gordon

Gordon

Administrator
Staff member
Verified dentist
Yeah, lower teeth won't be affected by sinus issues, sorry.