• Welcome! This is a forum for anyone who is affected by a fear of the dentist, dental phobia, or specific dental fears.

We are lucky to count a number of dentists among our members and moderators. Look out for the "Verified dentist" badges. If you are a dental professional who likes to help, please join our community!

Register now to access many more features and forums!

Tooth chipped, should I worry? [Photo]

E

ElaineW93

I noticed today, after hitting my tooth with a fork quite hard while eating, that one of my front teeth seems to be slightly chipped.

Here's a photo:
To me the chipping seems quite small, but it is noticeable (not painful just noticeable) when passing my tongue on it.

It's not generally aesthetically noticeable, so i'm not worrying about that, but, does this look like something that I can leave alone and just get checked whenever my next checkup is? Or are there risk with leaving this kind of chipping unchecked/untreated?

Gordon

Gordon

Administrator
Staff member
Verified dentist
Don't worry about it at all. Enamel is a crystal structure a bit like porcelain. It doesn't always wear evenly but little shards flake off at times, that's what's happened here. If it's annoying your tongue then smooth it with a small emery board, otherwise just leave it and it'll smooth off in time.

E

ElaineW93

Don't worry about it at all. Enamel is a crystal structure a bit like porcelain. It doesn't always wear evenly but little shards flake off at times, that's what's happened here. If it's annoying your tongue then smooth it with a small emery board, otherwise just leave it and it'll smooth off in time.
Thanks a lot for the answer! :)