• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Tooth chipped, should I worry? [Photo]

E

E93

I noticed today, after hitting my tooth with a fork quite hard while eating, that one of my front teeth seems to be slightly chipped.

Here's a photo:
To me the chipping seems quite small, but it is noticeable (not painful just noticeable) when passing my tongue on it.

It's not generally aesthetically noticeable, so i'm not worrying about that, but, does this look like something that I can leave alone and just get checked whenever my next checkup is? Or are there risk with leaving this kind of chipping unchecked/untreated?

Don't worry about it at all. Enamel is a crystal structure a bit like porcelain. It doesn't always wear evenly but little shards flake off at times, that's what's happened here. If it's annoying your tongue then smooth it with a small emery board, otherwise just leave it and it'll smooth off in time.

Don't worry about it at all. Enamel is a crystal structure a bit like porcelain. It doesn't always wear evenly but little shards flake off at times, that's what's happened here. If it's annoying your tongue then smooth it with a small emery board, otherwise just leave it and it'll smooth off in time.
Thanks a lot for the answer! :)

Back