• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Tooth cracked and fell out - please help

S

shakey

My top molar (second from the back) cracked (I think I was grinding) and a part fell out about two hours ago. There is no pain but I'm really worried and trying to ward off a panic attack.

Prior to falling out, this part of the tooth had been filled and I think that's the part that cracked and fell out. I can feel the gum with my tongue so it's cracked clean off.

What sort of treatment might I need for this? Does it require a cap/crown? I have a severe dental phobia so this is really freaking me out. I will of course call my dentist in the morning and try to get an appointment but it would be helpful to hear back from anyone who has had experience with this sort of problem.

Hi if you have no pain it might mean that the tooth has died. They may be able to build it up and crown it or do a rct. Until you go and see the dentist you won't know the condition of the tooth and so no one can really tell you what the treatment will be.

Once you have been and know what you are dealing with we can offer you support to face the app.

All the best to you :butterfly:

Thank you for responding Carole. There is now a small amount of pain so hopefully the tooth isn't dead. I have an appointment to see the dentist in an hour so I'll have my answer very soon. Hate feeling this level of panic :(

I know it is the worst and we do it to ourselves. How did your appointment go ? :butterfly:

Hi Carole, thanks for checking back in.

My filling fell out and needs to be replaced. There is also a bit more decay in there so they have to clean that out and fill it. It's a much better outcome than root canal or extraction or even an expensive crown. That said I was so nervous yesterday that the dentist said she'd prefer to do it with a longer appointment (so I can take breaks) and I now need to go back in to get the filling.

Im beside myself with nerves and I'm pretty upset that I'm allowing myself to get so worked up. The dentist said its not that big and can be filled within 20-30mins. I'm just so scared of the local anaesthetic and feeling stuck in the chair having a panic attack.

Wish I'd just had it done yesterday so I could get back to my life today without this anxiety :(

Thanks again for checking in. It means a lot xx

Your dentist will make sure you are really numb, if you feel anything at all then arrange a stop signal before she starts. This is usually by raising an arm and they stop. I think she is really good as she has suggested giving you a longer appointment to allow you to have a break.

Try not to worry too much it will be fine. I used to be terrified when attending dentists appointments but I have a lovely lady dentist and now I don't have the worry and all that goes with it.

Good luck for your appointment, I look forward to reading how well it went and how good you feel :grouphug::grouphug::grouphug::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::butterfly:

Good luck Shakey, hope all goes ok. I am having the exact same thing next week, a bit broke off my premolar about 5 years ago but it didn't hurt so I didn't get it seen to. I finally got into a dentist to see about getting it fixed and it needs a refilling just like yours. I too am absolutely petrified although relieved at the same time that it doesn't need more complex work done.

Let me know how you get on, will be thinking of you

Hi Carole,

Thanks again for your response. The problem is though that I have a phobia about the local anaesthetic! I've had a scary experience with adrenaline in these type of injections so I'm scared my heart will race, I'll start shaking etc. all over again on top of my regular "I hate the dentist" phobia.

Ive been told there are other local anaesthetics that don't contain adrenaline and I'll be asking for that instead, but I'm still terrified.

Wish I wasn't such a crazy/baby about all this.

I'm booked in for this Thursday afternoon so bring on the weekend when it's all over!

Hi The1701,

Thanks for your well wishes, it means a lot. When will you be getting yours done? I'm booked in this Thursday. I'm sure we'll be ok and not the first people to die from a filling ;) We can celebrate online together when it's all over :jump:

There are other anaesthetics that you may be able to be given and they don't last as long either. It is something for you to bring up with your dentist and they will be able to cover this with you and come up with the perfect solution for you.

Fingers crossed for Thursday, I am sure you will be fine :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:I brought out the big guns here for you :butterfly:

Hi The1701,

Thanks for your well wishes, it means a lot. When will you be getting yours done? I'm booked in this Thursday. I'm sure we'll be ok and not the first people to die from a filling ;) We can celebrate online together when it's all over :jump:

Hi Shakey, I am also in on Thursday (3rd September) I've got a late appt as I prefer to be able to go home afterwards as it takes me ages to calm down afterwards. Although I have foolishly got myself booked into a clinic first thing to have a mole removed the same day as the dentist (what was I thinking!)

What time is your appt? Hopefully we will both be posting up success stories and congratulating each other afterwards.

I find it really helpful to say anything I need to say before sitting down - my mind is clearer and it is easier to have a level conversation when you are both standing up. So that would be a good time to mention your phobia of local anaesthetic, I'm sure it will be fine though - there are a range of anaesthetics options now I'm told.

Anyway will be thinking of you on Thursday!

:clover:GOOD LUCK:clover:

Thank you for your kind words.

My appointment is at 2:30pm but I'm in Australia so I think you'll be fast asleep at that time. I'll be thinking of you too at your appointment time. We can do this - millions of people do it every day! Though I have to say for the past two days I've been tearing up at the thought of it so I don't know how I'm going to get myself there and sit through it tomorrow.

All good thoughts going out to you for Thursday!

Thank you so much Carole. I think I'm going to need the big guns tomorrow.

Can't wait for this to be over so I can go back to normal, well my version of normal anyway.

Hiya shakey, just stopping by to see how you got on; I hope it went well. Mine was totally pain free, a bit rough psychologically but I had a brilliant dentist with an absolute star of an assistant who both got me through and the tooth looks amazing now.

Hey there,

So glad to hear your appointment went well and was physically pain free. Does that mean you're done with your treatment now?

I didn't go so great unfortunately. I managed to get there and I managed to have the local anaesthetic (that's my major phobia) but that was it. I didn't get the filling done. My dentist had suggested I come back next week for the injection (to get used to the sensation) and the week after for the filling, but I couldn't go home having done nothing so I went through with the injection. I guess that's a small win. I ran straight out of there though and had a panic attack that lasted over an hour so now I'm still very scared to go back next week given I can't run out and I have to sit there feeling like I'm dying (I know I sound over the top) whilst they drill away for half hour in my mouth.

Hey Shakey, sorry to hear you didn't get your filling complete but well done you for going ahead with the injection - that is a massive step forwards. I also had a major wobbly moment during my filling - the full story is here - https://www.dentalfearcentral.org/f...on-and-theres-still-a-week-to-go.20150/page-4 so don't think you are alone in that.

Now that you have had the injection which was your biggest fear I think you will do much better at the next appointment, sometimes we have to take things one step at a time.

As for getting through the drilling the best thing to do is ask for regular, scheduled breaks. I had a couple of breaks and it made it easier to hear the dentist tell me there was a break coming up and I made sure I had a full break too - I sat up, had some water and a rinse etc. Breaking it down into manageable sections is much easier than thinking of it as a massive 30 minute session, even if you can only manage 30 seconds at a time that is totally fine.

Above all just remember that it is worth the effort, I feel so much better with my "new" tooth and I look much better too. It was a tough day but worth the effort.

You can do this.

Hey there,

So glad to hear your appointment went well and was physically pain free. Does that mean you're done with your treatment now?

I didn't go so great unfortunately. I managed to get there and I managed to have the local anaesthetic (that's my major phobia) but that was it. I didn't get the filling done. My dentist had suggested I come back next week for the injection (to get used to the sensation) and the week after for the filling, but I couldn't go home having done nothing so I went through with the injection. I guess that's a small win. I ran straight out of there though and had a panic attack that lasted over an hour so now I'm still very scared to go back next week given I can't run out and I have to sit there feeling like I'm dying (I know I sound over the top) whilst they drill away for half hour in my mouth.

I am sure one of the dentists on here said that there is an injection that the dentist can give you after the treatment to counter act the numbing injection so that any side effects are not as long lasting. Have a word with your dentist and see if they are aware of this.
If any of the dentists here know of the injection hopefully they can confirm or deny it is so, or you could put the question on the dentists questions part of the forum. :butterfly:

I've not heard about this injection but I'll be sure to ask my dentist. Thanks Carole.

Hey there The1701,

Thanks so much for your kind words and encouragement. Your new tooth looks amazing! I'm so happy for you, it's a wonderful result. You must feel over the moon right?

I now have to make the next appointment to get the filling done. I woke up this morning to pain in the tooth, think it's from grinding, but never the less this isn't going to go away by itself. It's going to take a big show of strength because even though I did have the local anaesthetic I had a major panic attack and was convinced something was wrong with me. So to think about having to sit still for half an hour and let the dentist drill away when all I want to do is run...so so scared.

Thank you Shakey, I am really pleased with myself and the "new" tooth. I won't deny it was tough at times but I had "breather-breaks" which helped a great deal.

Did you have your panic attack outside the treatment room? Just wondering if you were alone when it happened as it can make a huge difference if someone experienced in how to cope with panic attacks is around. You may find that if you feel an attack coming on during your next appointment then your dentist would be able to help you with it.

Something which may help is to take a personal stereo/IPOD/phone with a relaxation track on it. I have an app on my phone called "Breathe2relax" which I have used in the past, if you have a smart phone and some headphones you could have this playing while in the chair.

You have already taken a massive step forward in having the injection - you faced your biggest fear and came out the other side so you really can do it.

Good luck for the next appointment - are you going this Thursday?

Back