• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Tooth decay, crumbling. desperately worried.

G

Gray

Hello, I am a 28 year old male.. This problem honestly is years old (the last time I was at the dentist I was about 19 years old) . I have my back lower right wisdom tooth mostly crumbled away.. my right side the tooth area after the big K9 incisor is mostly crumbled away also and its started a bit on the same area on the upper left side. And just 3 days ago my left center tooth on the top sort of crumbled/cracked :cry:(I had a small cavity hole in the middle of the teeth that has occurred before back when I was younger and got most of this stuff fixed many fillings and drilling and such) and on some teeth I can see black on some ares of other teeth and they feel like they have indents in that area? :shame:

I wont lie to anyone my tooth brushing habits were far from good. They have improved a great deal lately but to little to late. (I now brush for 2 minutes with the crest pro health stuff and I rinse with Listerine total care after for about a minute or so) I could take a picture if people really want to see it but.. im so ashamed of how my teeth look.. I fear everyday my front teeth just breaking off entirely (even more so now) ..I have had fears of the dentist since I had braces ( I had a very bad orthodontist which was part of the reason I required work when I was 17-19) and on top of that I simply have severe anxiety to the point of not being able to go out very much if at all unless you count short 10 minute walks from my home. I honestly have no idea what to do .. depressed scared and no idea what I can even do to just slow down this decay(?) until I can find a way to do something about it :cry: Any advice , anything at all would be so greatly appreciated. I am afraid to even smile in front of my parents and friends.

Thank you~
Gray

Last edited:
Hi Gray :XXLhug:

I can can totally relate to the depression you're feeling, as I've suffered from depression since right before I turned ten and I have terrible social anxiety among other things. It makes everything that much more difficult.

I was very traumatized by a horrid dentist when I was five years old, and I think that's what really started my dental phobia. Every dentist I've ever been too has royally sucked, and I still haven't found a good one yet. I'm only 18 but I have a ton of dental work to be done :cry: It just makes me so upset, I want to curl into a ball and give up all hope! I went to a dentist back in October on the 14th, and he did a crappy job. The whole time cement was getting caught in my throat (he didn't even notice for the longest time!), he poked a hole in my lip then tried to make it like it was my fault and the fillings he did never felt right and he charged a crazy amount. The teeth never bothered me until he worked on them. The most expensive filling he did was the worst, and tomorrow I'm having a root canal done on that tooth. I'm pretty scared. I have a ton of cavities to be filled after that, two which are very deep (praying it's not too late to have them filled) as well as wisdom teeth that need removal. I got lucky with my teeth, but one tooth grew out of my gums and pretty much messed up my whole smile...maybe one day I can do something about it. Every single cleaning I've ever had done was rough and the hygienist left me bleeding horribly because they were careless. My teeth are yellow and only a bleaching would help. I also suffer from some crumbling of my teeth.

the dentist I have started seeing (I don't like her but I don't have any say in the matter right now) said there is no way to slow down decay. I didn't ask but she randomly threw it in there and if what she says is true them yikes. I had assumed brushing your teeth throughly and using mouth wash would slow decay but I guess not :dunno: I'm sure that it's much better than not doing anything, however! You could get some fluoride online and use that. My dentist told me it doesn't do anything, however, unless it actually touches the tooth. So if you've got plague basically it won't do anything, she said.

I hate teeth...

You really need to take the first step which is seeing a dentist. They can examine your teeth and tell you what work needs to be done and give you a financial breakdown. Are you not going because of fear or is it because of finances (or both)? If this mainly boils down to fear, please, please, please don't let it stop you from seeking proper dental treatment! I totally understand not wanting to go, especially because of anxiety. I can't stand having people in my mouth and all around my face :( when you go, try closing your eyes. I've found that helps, at least once the procedure is going on. I've heard of people listening to music, although I've been too afraid to ask to do that. Just keep in mind that you need the work done and that it will eventually all be over and things will be so much better as a result! Take it one step at a time. Get the most dire procedures over with first. You're feeling overwhelmed like me, I'm sure, and you probably feel like it's too much too handle. Just try to calm yourself and imagine the end results.

Hope you feel better!

Back