• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Tooth enamel erosion.

C

coolbreezing

First off I admit that I haven't seen a dentist in 10 years.
I don't smoke or drink, but I do drink green tea, iced tea and soda.

I brush twice a day but my flossing habits are poor, I only floss the teeth in the front and I also don't floss long enough. I have no sensitivity, bleeding or pain.

I have several teeth with different degrees of enamel loss. My left upper incisor has about 1/3 of enamel loss. Then on the bottom of each side, 3 molars have some enamel loss. About a month ago I started using pronamel, yeah I know a little way too late, haha.

My question to the dentists is will those teeth have to be extracted or can they be saved? I think I need something called veneers. I am going to make an appointment soon with a dentist who also does cosmetic dentistry so I can
take care of all of my dental needs in 1 place. From that point on forward I will make it a habit of getting regular checkups and 2x year cleanings.

I don't think I have a dental phobia, just more of a case of laziness. When I was little I did have several cavities filled and I got through it. I am 41 yrs old now and have
a higher pain tolerance then when I was little.

hey
First of all, dentistry should be painless. Just to make it clear.
Losing the enamel is not healthy but basically I would not recommend anyone to treat it unless there is a clear complain: aesthetic problem or sensitivity to cold.
What is also extremely important is to find the cause for this loss of enamel, otherwise the problem will not be solved.

hey
First of all, dentistry should be painless. Just to make it clear.
Losing the enamel is not healthy but basically I would not recommend anyone to treat it unless there is a clear complain: aesthetic problem or sensitivity to cold.
What is also extremely important is to find the cause for this loss of enamel, otherwise the problem will not be solved.

Thanks for your response Dr. Daniel. It's the fear of the unknown that bothers me. I do grind my teeth in my sleep, but the enamel is wearing off from the top(gum line).

I have no sensitivity at all, no bleeding when I brush or
floss so this is more of an aesthetic problem like you said.

I am worried that my teeth will rot away if it gets to a point where the entire enamel has eroded from the tooth.

Back